Due to the "Healthy at Work" guidelines, we have changed our "Walk-in" Services to "Free" by appointment services.
You may book online, stop by during our office hours, or call (270)745-6531 to book your appointment
COST: Students- FREE, F/S & Alum- FREE, Community- $5
If you are a First Time User:
- Click https://online.spectrumng.net/wku/
- Click “Do not have a login?” at the bottom of the login screen
- Member Number = Your WKU ID (800#)
- Create a username and password
- You will now use that login every time you login with us!
To Book An Appointment:
- Login to https://online.spectrumng.net/wku/ (see instructions above)
- Click on Fitness & Nutrition
- Click Lab Services
- Select "FREE Health Assessment"
- Choose the date you would like to come and press Continue
- Select a time in white and double click, then press continue
- Select your name and click the host circle to the right, then press continue to cart
- Come to the Health & Fitness Lab, wearing your mask, tshirt, and shorts on your scheduled date.
A blood pressure test measures the pressure in your arteries as your heart pumps. We will wrap an inflatable cuff around the top part of your arm so that the bottom of the cuff is just above your elbow. Your results will be given immediately and will be categorized as low to high blood pressure.
** Please note: Our staff is trained to pick the best method of measurement for your
body type.We offer 2 types of measurement:
Skinfold Measurement with Calipers
This is the most common method of body fat analysis used in the Health & Fitness Lab. It is very accurate if done by a trained individual.
IMPORTANT: We require clients to wear shirts and a t-shirt to allow access to the 6 sites of measurement located below. Clients should not work out beforehand or apply lotions of any kind to ensure accuracy.
The 6-Site method for evaluating body fat percentage requires 6 skinfold measurements. These sites are the chest (men only), triceps, abdomen, suprailliac crest or just above the top of the hip bone, subscapular or just behind the shoulder blade, and the thigh. For consistency and accuracy, all skinfold measurements are taken at least twice on the right side of a standing, relaxed body and should never be taken after exercise, when a person’s fluid levels can interfere with accuracy.
TANITA Body Fat Analyzer
TANITA body fat analyzer is scale that measures your percent body fat in only a few seconds. After inputting the data (height, weight, gender, age), a measurement will be started by simply standing on the scale (no shoes or socks) and pressing the START button. Analyzer measures your body fat with a gentle, micro electrical current (you will not feel anything!). The measurement takes about 5 minutes.
Guidelines to obtain an accurate measurement:
- Do not eat or drink within 4 hours of the measurement
- Do not exercise within12 hours of the measurements
- Urinate prior to taking the measurement
- Abstain from alcohol consumption within 48 hours of the measurement
- Do not ingest diuretics, including caffeine, before the assessment unless they are prescribed by a physician
- Avoid the time of menstruation
Circumference measurement provides specific reference to the distribution of fat in the body. The pattern of body fat distribution is recognized as an important predictor of the health risks associated with obesity.
Sites for circumference measurement:
Abdomen, Waist, Hips, Arm, Calf, Forearm, Thigh, Mid-thigh
Measurement of height and body weight is a quick and simple screening that provides you with information about your body. Height and weight are assessed with Tanita’s WB-3000 digital bean scale.