Campus Recreation & Wellness COVID-19 Operations Plan
The Raymond B. Preston Health & Activities Center opened for patrons on Monday, July 13th!
Our Campus Recreation & Wellness Office and Health & Fitness Lab opened Monday, July 13th.
The offices are open Monday-Friday from 7:30am -4:30pm.
The Hattie L. Preston Intramural Sports Complex and WKU Challenge Course will remain closed throughout Summer 2020.
GGC@WKU (Health Services) Summer Hours (August 3-14, 2020) will be M-Th: 8am-3pm F: 8am-12pm Sat & Sun: Closed
Please visit the health services website www.wku.edu/healthservices for more information.
Thank you for your support and understanding of the university plan to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 as best to protect its students, faculty, staff and communities.
Below you will find updated information on our facilities, programs, and services during this time.
2020 Summer Membership Fees (July 13 – August 23, 2020)
- Free - 2020 Spring Semester Full-Time Students
- Free - 2020 Spring Graduates
- Free – WKU Pay Roll Deductee Members (Monthly, Semi-Monthly, Bi-Weekly) for the Month of July
- Free – All faculty, staff, retirees, and alumni who purchased a 2020 Spring Semester Membership
- $35 – 2020 Spring Semester Part-Time Students, Incoming 2020 Fall Semester Students (Must Be Enrolled In Classes), Faculty, Staff, Retirees, and Alumni
- $5 – Guests Passes
Note: WKU Pay Roll Deductions for Preston Center Memberships will not be activated until August 1, 2020.
Note: All Annual Membership expiration dates will be extended by the number of months we were closed not to exceed 4 months based on your membership anniversary date.
If you have any questions concerning memberships, please call Becky Sims at (270)745-6061 or email her at email@example.com
Locker Rentals During this closure:
All Locker Rentals will be extended due to the closure and we will update your expiration date in our system. If you have any questions concerning locker rentals, please contact Candice Douglas at (270) 745- 6544 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Facility Rentals for the Raymond B. Preston Health & Activities Center, Hattie L.
Preston Intramural Sports Complex, and WKU Challenge Course:
- We will not accept any requests for rentals for Summer 2020 (July, August).
- If you would like to place a rental request on the calendar for the fall 2020, please contact the responsibile staff listed below.
- While we may place a rental request on the calendar for fall, we will not accept any deposits since there is a potential for cancellation.
For more information on the Preston Center, please call Candice Douglas (270)745-6544
For more information on the Intramural Sports Complex, please call Jerrell Kelly (270)745-6547
For more information on the WKU Challenge Course, please call Haley Smith (270)745-6542
All face to face programs and services provided by CRW will be suspended through July
31st. We are moving as many of our programs online as possible for our students! Please
read below for individual program plans:
Outdoor Programs (ORAC & Challenge Course):
Outdoor Programs are offering a variety of adventures from home! Check out our webpage (https://www.wku.edu/crw/orac/adventuretrips.php) for directions on activities from recording your activity with the FREE Strava app to building a fort in your living room.
- We will be running a mini GroupX Virtual Schedule for you to do at home! We will now
have virtual classes for you every Tuesday & Thursday.
- Beginning July 14th, we will be offering face to face GroupX classes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 11:30am-12:15pm in our facility. These classes will be limited to 10 people. Stay tuned for more information.
Health & Wellness Programs:
- If you would like information on the following Health & Wellness programs at WKU and what we will be offering for Fall 2020, please contact us at (270)745-6531 or email email@example.com.
- Hilltopper Nutrition: We provide information and education on health-related food issues (food allergies, disordered eating, medical issues), healthy eating tips, cooking demonstrations and more! Checkout https://www.wku.edu/hilltoppernutrition/ for allergy food guides and more information.
- Health Education & Promotion: We strive to promote wellness and student success by providing engaging, dynamic, and educational programming and services for the WKU student body. We work to empower the campus community to create positive lifestyle/behavioral choices and risk reduction practices by providing sexual health education and supplies, feminine hygiene products, and substance abuse awareness and education. Checkout www.wku.edu/hep for more info.
- WellU® Student Wellness Program: WellU® is a program that is designed to help all students connect with programs and services that promote healthy habits, and success in the classroom and life. We offer opportunities to earn scholarships and prizes for investing in your overall wellness! Checkout https://www.wku.edu/awellu/ to find out more information.
If you would like information on Sport Clubs or Intramurals for the Fall semester, please contact Jerrell Kelly at (270)745-6547 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
GGC@WKU (Health Services):
Starting April 20th health services is temporarily located at the Graves Gilbert Clinic Family Care Center located at 2724 Nashville Rd, Bowling Green, KY 42101. Ph: 270-781-5111 Ext: 8675
Please visit the health services website www.wku.edu/healthservices for more information.
Is there a reservation system for the pool?
We have explored the potential of a reservation system but have currently not put one in place.
We will closely monitor the pool usage and determine if a reservation system is necessary.
Do all retirees receive a free summer membership to the Preston Center?
The free summer membership for retirees was for those who had 2020 Spring Semester membership.
Why are the summer hours different than in the past?
The current hours of operation for the dates of July 13 thru August 23, 2020 is a modified scheduled to our normal summer hours based on how many student workers were available so that we could open the Preston Center on July 13th. As more of our student workforce returns to Bowling Green this summer we do have plans to increase our hours of operation.
Why are the showers not available for patrons this summer?
Our showers are closed this summer due to the state guidelines whereas we would be responsible for cleaning and sanitizing the showers after each usage. We currently do not have the student workforce or capabilities to accomplish this guidelines after each usage.
Will the Preston Center return to their normal operating hours during the 2020 Fall Semester?
We are very hopeful that we will be able to offer our student body and university community our normal hours during the Fall Semester.
Why do 2020 Spring Semester Part-Time Students have to pay a $35 membership fee during the 2020 Summer Semesters and Full-Time Students do not?
Full-Time Students membership to the Preston Center is included in their tuition whereas Part-Time Students are not. All Part-Time Students who paid for a 2020 Spring Semester membership were reimbursed these funds this past April.
Why are the day lockers no longer available to the members of the Preston Center?
Our day lockers are closed this summer due to the state guidelines whereas we would be responsible for cleaning and sanitizing the lockers after each usage. We currently do not have the student workforce or capabilities to accomplish this guideline after each usage.
In the past members were not allowed to bring in backpacks, etc. into the fitness center will this policy not be in effect since the day lockers are no longer available to the members of the Preston Center?
Our staff is finalizing plans in addressing the many issues that will certainly arise due to the guidelines that we must follow due to COVID-19.
The reason we were given the opportunity to open the Preston Center this summer is so that we could have a test run with the current state and university guidelines prior to the student body returning this fall semester.
If you have not already, I might suggest considering renting a locker in the locker rooms this summer for the safe protection of your belongings.
Will our ID Cards be active beginning July 13th so we can use the Preston Center this summer?
Yes. You will present the identification card that is associated with your membership to the staff upon your arrival.
Why are some memberships free this summer while others have to pay the $35 membership fee?
Free memberships are based on the students, faculty, staff, retirees, and alumni who paid a membership fee during the 2020 Spring Semester.
Since the pool and group exercise classes have a 10 person limit, who can we call to find out if there are openings available?
You may call the Preston Center Front Desk at 270-745-5217 during the hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday thru Friday.
Currently the pool usage and group exercise classes are on a first come first serve basis.
Can I bring my gym bag with me, even though you are not checking out day use lockers?
There is currently no good safe haven to place your gym bag should you bring it to the facility. We highly recommend you rent out a locker in the locker room, which is only $15 for the rest of the summer.
Is spotting allowed in the Fitness Center Areas?
Due to COVID19, our CRW staff will not be spotting patrons. We will allow patrons who have come into the facility together to spot one another, but the spotter must wear a mask during the spot.
Should you have any additional questions, that are not answered on our COVID-19 Operations Page, please do not hesitate to send them to email@example.com.