Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q: What degrees programs are available in The Department of Communication?

A: In undergraduate programs:

  • Advertising (BA)
  • Corporate & Organizational Communication (BA)
  • Communication Studies (BA)
  • Popular Culture Studies (BA)
  • Public Relations
  • Minor in Communication Studies
  • Minor in Digital Advertising

A: In graduate programs:

  • Organizational Communication (MA)
  • Communicating in Organization (Graduate Certificate)
  • Communicating in Healthcare (Graduate Certificate)

Q: What is the difference between BA in Corporate and Organizational Communication and BA in Communication Studies?

A: Corporate and Organizational Communication: Provides an interdisciplinary program for students seeking careers that require communication skills in organizational settings such as training and development, public affairs, non-profit management, government relations, marketing, sales, human resources, public relations, and entrepreneurial endeavors.

A: Communication Studies: This major takes a liberal arts approach to developing responsible communicators in a variety of situations: one-on-one, small group, public, interpersonal, intercultural, and organizational settings. This major requires a second major or minor.

Q: What are the required courses for both Majors in the Communication program?

A: COMM 200: Communication Foundations

COMM 300: Introduction to Communication Research Methods

COMM 345: Advanced Public Speaking

COMM 348: Interpersonal Communication

COMM 362: Organizational Communication

COMM 463: Intercultural Communication

COMM 494: Capstone in Communication (1 hour portfolio) – Senior standing, majors only

Q: What jobs/careers can I get with a degree in Communication Studies or Corporate & Organizational Communication?

A: Law, Religion, Teaching, Banking, Nonprofit Management, Public Relations, Healthcare Management, Politics, Coordinator, Director, Sales, Recruiter, Analyst, Medical Adviser, Lobbyist, Pharmaceutical, Training, Representative, Mediator, Public Relations Specialist, Public Administrator, Human Rights Officer, Media Specialist, Educational Researcher, etc.

Q: What student organizations are available to join in the Department of Communication?

A: For Undergraduate Students:

A: For Graduate Students:

  • COGS- Communication Organization Graduate Students – Dr. Angie Jerome, Advisor

How does Priority Registration work?

Questions pertaining to this question are as follows. 

Why do I have to be advised? Can't you just lift my hold?

WKU requires you to have a “hold” released on your registration account before enrolling in classes for Fall and Spring semesters (this doesn’t apply to Winter or Summer terms).  The aim is for students to have a real conversation with a knowledgeable faculty member or professional advisor so you can get direction about appropriate next courses, learn about goings-on in your major, and have an opportunity to ask questions.  The time you spend being advised is an investment in your own timely graduation.

How do I make an advising appointment?

Schedule your appointment through the Department of Communication’s main office (FAC 130 / 270-745-3296).  This may not feel as convenient as using WKU’s self-scheduling utility in TopNet, but it’s one small way you and your major department can maintain a more personal connection, and we like that.  Contacting your advisor directly to schedule your appointment interrupts someone else’s advising session, and the back-and-forth of exchanging e-mails is rarely efficient.

What if I can't get to campus for an appointment?

Tell us your situation. We may be able to set up a "meeting" via telephone or e-mail. 

Who gets priority registration?

In a very real sense, every returning student at WKU has “priority registration.”  Some have earlier “priority” than others – seniors ahead of juniors, etc.

What are "earned hours" (and why do I need to know)?

“Earned hours” are credits you get by passing your classes.  Courses in which you are currently enrolled aren’t earned hours until actually completed.  Your registration priority is determined in part based on the number of hours you have already earned.

What if I can't get into a class I need in another (not Communication) deparment?

Your communication advisor does not have authority to manage course enrollment in another department. Contact the department that administers the course, or e-mail the professor. 

What's the blue bar in the schedule of classes?

That blue bar contains information about the one class directly above that bar in the Schedule. Read this information carefully. 

What does "Needs test score/pre-req" mean? 

Sometimes this note pups up during the self-registration process, and prevents you from getting into a class. If this happens, read the course's catalog description to see what you lack. Sometimes "instructor permission" can override the lack of a pre-requisite course. If you get this message in error for a Communication course, contact the Communication Department office. 

What if the Communication class I want/need is already full?

Depending on how the course fits into your degree program, you may have several in the future, or choose a different course; or contact the professor to find out his/her policy about adding students above the cap.  In all cases keep watching the schedule for an opening to occur!


Additonal Questions

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 9/27/17