Department of Communication Staff
- Associate Professor
- FAC 243
Public Relations Fundamentals
Public Relations Writing
Digital Tactics in Public Relations
International Public Relations
Public Relations Strategy and Planning
Public Relations Management
Public Relations Internships
Media Relations in Sport
- 1994 to 2006 McNeely Pigott & Fox Public Relations, Nashville Account management at a 65-person public relations firm. Experience included public relations campaign/strategy planning and oversight, client service, budget management, new business development; media and government relations, publications management, personnel services, and management of interns. Served as Vice President of Operations, Senior Account Supervisor, Senior Account Executive and Account Executive. Account teams included health care and pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, government and not-for-profits.
- 1989 to 1994 State of Tennessee, Nashville, Communications Manager
Manager of public information campaigns and publications for three divisions within the Department of Finance and Administration. Projects included managing publications, including three quarterly newsletters distributed to 110,000 state government, public school, and university employees.
- 1988 to 1989 Nashville (TN) Memorial Hospital, Assistant Director of Public RelationsPrepared written communication materials for a 314-bed community hospital; maintained ongoing media relations; developed and participated in a crisis public relations plan; edited employee biweekly newsletter and quarterly magazine, and served as a community relations liaison between the hospital and community groups.
- 1985 to 1987 Nancy Scott Jones Public Relations, San Antonio, Texas, Media Relations
Coordinator/WriterDeveloped and maintained media relations campaigns, coordinated news conferences, and served as media contact for clients; developed written communication materials for local, regional, and national media; and planned special events.
- 1978 to 1983 Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, Lifestyles Editor and Assistant Lifestyles Editor
Feature editor for a four-county daily newspaper. Duties included editorial planning, writing, editing, assigning feature articles, photography and layout/design for features section; planning and preparing editorial copy for a weekly magazine and four advertising supplements.
- M.A. in Communication, Western Kentucky University, 1992
- 12 graduate hours in Communication, University of New Orleans, 1984-85
- B.A. in Journalism, Western Kentucky University, 1978
- Public Relations Society of America Member since 1986
Accredited in 1993
Nashville Chapter Board Member
National Assembly Delegate
Southeast District Chapter Representative
- WKU Public Relations Student Society of America, Faculty Advisor
- WKU Advertising Federation, Faculty Advisor
PRSA Silver Anvil Award Team
Government Relations--Tennessee Worker's Comp Campaign
PRSA/Nashville Hercules Award Recipient
PRSA/Nashville Parthenon Award
Media Relations--Roche Pharmaceuticals
PRSA/Nashville Parthenon Awards of Merit
Newsletters--Your Health Network
WKU Talisman Award
- COMMUNITY SERVICE
YWCA Nashville Board Member, PR/Marketing Committee Co-chair
Center for Not-for-Profit Management, Selection Committee, Nashville BusinessJournal's Communication Award
After 25 years of public relations experience, Vicki Bagwell, APR, Fellow PRSA began her college teaching career at WKU in 2006. As a tenured associate professor, Vicki teaches Public Relations Fundamentals, Public Relations Writing and Production, Digital Tactics, International Public Relations, Public Relations Strategy and Planning, and Public Relations Management. She also teaches sport public relations and media relations in WKU’s Sport Media and Branding graduate program. Vicki has served as the PRSSA faculty adviser since 2006 and as a site reviewer for three universities seeking PRSA certification. Her pedagogical work with public relations entrepreneurship has been accepted for poster sessions and the Public Relations Journal. Vicki graduated from WKU with a B.A. in Journalism and an M.A. in Communication.
During her public relations career in Nashville and San Antonio, Vicki worked with government, private and non-profit organizations offering strategic traditional and online public relations planning and implementation. Her experience includes account management, strategic planning, writing, editing, media and community relations, crisis communications, media training, and budget oversight. A former PRSA Nashville president, Vicki has been an active member of the organization for more than 25 years. She became accredited in1993 and was inducted in the College of Fellows in 2013. She is a PRSA Silver Anvil team recipient and has earned PRSA Nashville chapter Parthenon Awards. Vicki was chosen as the chapter’s 2005 Hercules Award winner for more than 10 years of dedicated service to the profession. She currently serves on the PRSA National MBA Committee.