The Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning
Active Learning Classroom
CITL and WKU Libraries have partnered to create an active-learning classroom that is currently available for faculty use. As you may know, active-learning classrooms are designed to get students working together in small groups to work on collaborative projects, case studies, and group activities. These types of classrooms are becoming more prevalent at other colleges/universities, and there is growing body of research examining the impact of these classrooms on student learning and student engagement.
Our new active-learning classroom is located in Cravens Library – Room 212 (within the Visual & Performing Arts Library). A low resolution photo of the classroom is attached to this email. The classroom has a capacity of 42 students – with 6 students seated around 7 tables. The classroom has white boards on every wall, portable white boards at each table, a large touch-screen computer/tv, and a standard podium computer with projector.
We created this space to give faculty the opportunity to experiment with active- and project-based learning with their students. In the spirit of making this a “test kitchen” classroom for experimentation with teaching and learning, faculty members can reserve this classroom for a maximum of three class sessions each semester.
If you would like to reserve this classroom for 1-3 class sessions this spring semester (or in the future), please follow the steps below.
- Open your WKU Outlook Calendar
- Click the “Home” tab – and then “New Items” – and then “Meetings”
- When the dialog box opens – fill in the relevant information:
- Subject: enter the course number and title of your class
- Location: click “Rooms” – and search for RCL-212. Add RCL-212 to the box at the bottom of the screen and click ok (this will also populate the “to” box” with RCL-212 for your request)
- Enter the date & time you wish to reserve the room (you will need to complete this process for each class session)
- Enter any special information you wish to convey in the large text box
- Click “Send”
- Your request will be sent to the Office of the Dean of WKU Libraries – and this office will approve/deny your request depending on the room’s availability
- You will need to complete this process for each class session you wish to reserve. Faculty may reserve the room for 1-3 class sessions per semester.
Please contact us if you would like more information active-learning or project-based learning and how you might incorporate these into an existing course.