New Faculty Orientation
Professional Development Resources
- Professional Development Events Calendar | wku.edu/pdevents
- teaching, pedagogy, teaching w/ technology, sponsored research, research, study away/study abroad, etc
- Listing of Future Professional Events | wku.edu/cfd/future-events.php
- list of all professional development activities (co-)sponsored by CFD or advertised on CFD website
Resources for Teaching:
Recordings from previous workshops/seminars on Teaching & Pedagogy (from the Best
Practices in Mentoring and College Teaching (BPMCT) Program)
- A Solution Oriented Approach to Academic Misconduct
- Improving Lectures
- Learning Objectives
- Peer Leadership in the College Classroom
- Tips for the first Day for Class
- Effective Classroom Participation - Part 1 and Part 2
- Teaching Millennials in Higher Education
- University Syllabus Policy
- Syllabus 101 Presentation (Powerpoint Slides)
- 20th Edition of Faculty Handbook (page 11)
Best Practices in Mentoring and College Teaching Program (BPMCT) | wku.edu/cfd/mentoring/index.php
- BPMCT is designed to provide beginning skills, best practices, and information to increase the likelihood of a successful teaching experience at the college level. BPMCT requires successful completion of at least six approved learning "units," including three required online modules (worth one unit each) and three approved seminars/workshops; the online modules are accessible throughout the year. Seminars are offered throughout the fall and spring semesters. To register for the BPMCT program and to obtain access to the Blackboard Organization site, simply send an email with your 800 number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please click here to download a copy of the BPMCT brochure.
Office of Distance Learning | wku.edu/dlfaculty/
- The DELO Office of Distance Learning supports faculty in the development of online courses, such as by providing assistance with instructional design, one-on-one training and consultations, and coordinating group training and workshops throughout the academic year and during the summer. The DELO Online Learning Research Office (OLRO) supports faculty who are interested in conducting research on the topic of online learning, blended learning, and the use of technologies in online, blended, and face-to-face courses within higher education.
Resources for Research (provided by the Office of Sponsored Programs & Office of Research)
Office of Sponsored Programs | wku.edu/sponsoredprograms/
The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) at Western Kentucky University is a service unit that assists the faculty and staff at WKU in obtaining external funds. We offer assistance across the entire spectrum of sponsored programs activities, from identifying a potential source of funding to reviewing the terms and conditions of awards made to the institution.
Office of Research | wku.edu/research/
Our research mission is oriented to our students, and to our region. Students work alongside talented faculty in cutting-edge research, learning where new knowledge and creativity comes from, and most importantly, how to assess its validity. Our students are often solving problems for our community, underscoring our commitment to being a driver of the economy and quality of life of our community, and become equipped with skills and relationships for success in their careers.
Finding External Support : Pivot: Funding Opportunities + Scholar Universe
Finding External Support : PowerPoints
Research & Creative Activities Program (RCAP) | wku.edu/sponsoredprograms/internal-funding
- RCAP funding is provided by the Office of Research to encourage faculty to develop individual research projects leading to the pursuit of external funding sources, or the promotion of scholarly and creative activities. Look for the call for proposals sometime late in the fall semester - with applications/proposals due in early in the spring semester.
Office of Research Integrity (IRB) | wku.edu/compliance/
CITI Training | wku.edu/compliance/training.php
- CITI is the "Collaborative IRB Training Initiative." All WKU faculty and students must complete online CITI training before WKU's Institutional Review Board (IRB) or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) will review an application presented to either board. If CITI training was completed at another institution, one may align their account with WKU so that the completion certificate will be recognized by WKU.
- CITI Training Program Setup Guide
University Senate - New Faculty Orientation Presentation (click here to download)
Information Technology - New Faculty Orientation Presentation (click here to download)
Office of International Programs | wku.edu/oip/
The Office of International Programs strives to complement Western Kentucky University's vision to be A Leading American University with International Reach through the strategic development, implementation, and management of campus-wide internationalization initiatives. The Office of International Programs, in partnership with the Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning, serves to enhance WKU's international profile by working closely with students, faculty, and staff, both domestic and foreign.
Faculty-Led Study Abroad | wku.edu/flsa/
This unit assists WKU faculty with the development of study abroad programs.
Faculty-Led Study Away |wku.edu/studyaway/
This unit assists WKU faculty with the development of domestic based study away programs.
ALIVE Center | wku.edu/alive/
The ALIVE Center's mission is to support community development locally and abroad through campus and community partnerships. The ALIVE CCP connects students, faculty, staff, and community members to resources and opportunities for meaningful service and public scholarship. Our vision is that campus and community members, from all sectors and backgrounds, will engage in successful applied-learning opportunities and work together to improve quality of life by acting as public problem-solvers and effective community-builders.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,