WKU Professional Learning Community
Service Learning & Civic Engagement as a High Impact Practice
Professional learning communities (PLC) provide the opportunity for a group of interdisciplinary faculty to discuss and reflect on a variety of topics related to teaching, the scholarship of teaching, active and deep learning, and other forms of faculty life, including scholarly and creative activities.
The Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning and the Center for Citizenship and Social Justice offers a PLC on Service Learning and Civic Engagement as a High-Impact Practice (HIP). This PLC provides a group of interdisciplinary faculty with the opportunity to integrate a service learning model into an existing course with fidelity and inclusive excellence to maximize student engagement and promote deep learning.
Working collectively as a group in a supportive and collegial environment, faculty participants will:
- analyze different service learning models
- develop learning objectives and outcomes that are appropriate for a service learning course
- identify methods to promote reciprocity between university and community stakeholders
- develop assignments and activities that promote reflection and learning within a service learning course
- develop integrated assessments of student learning aligned with learning objectives of the service learning course
- develop an evaluation plan to assess impact to larger community
The PLC will provide a supportive and collegial for faculty participants to embed a service learning model within an existing course. Ideally, this would be a course the faculty member might teach in a future semester (Spring 2018 or after).
The 2017-18 Service Learnig PLC is in progress. For more information on the 2018-19 PLC set for Fall 2018, please contact Leah Ashwill, Director of WKU CCSJ at email@example.com or 270-745-3217.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,