Job Shadow Program
Become a Job Shadow Host for the WKU Job Shadow Program
Become a job shadow host for a WKU student! Exploring careers is an important part of the college experience. The Center for Career and Professional Development encourages students to explore their interests and research different career paths. Our goal for our students is to make informed decisions about their career paths here at WKU so that life after WKU can be as meaningful and fulfilling as possible for each individual student.
Why offer a shadowing experience for WKU students? By offering a shadowing experience, you will allow students the opportunity to learn about your industry and give them a chance to see what a typical day looks like first-hand. This may be the first professional experience for a student and it can be a wonderful learning experience involving the workplace environment and the organizational culture.
The WKU Job Shadow Program aims to help our students:
- Gain confidence in a professional setting
- Learn about a career field
- Determine if this career field is something they would want to pursue in their time at WKU and after
- Learn networking skills
- Possibly set the stage for a future internship
- Utilize the Center for Career and Professional Development resources
When will this take place?
The job shadowing day will take place over the winter break class term for students between the dates of January 3rd-January 18th. The student and the host will agree upon a mutually convenient date during this time to complete the job shadow.
Become a Job Shadow Host
- Complete a job shadow host form. You can do this by clicking here.
- This form will collect information about your organization and the job shadow experiences you have to offer a WKU student
- You will also indicate how many WKU students you would prefer to host
- Hosts will receive their student matches in November, at this time you will receive each other's contact information. Those hosts who did not receive a match will also be notified at this time.
- The shadowing day will be completed between January 4th and January 19th.
What does a shadowing day look like?
On the agreed upon shadowing day, the student will arrange their transportation and meet the host at their workplace.
As a job shadow host, we ask that you allow the student to observe your typical work day activities, and give them a chance to ask informational questions about the industry and the host's position.
Possible activities for that day include:
- Taking a tour of your organization/department
- Sitting in on a meeting
- Allowing the student to sit in on a phone/conference call
- Talking about a current project
- Visiting with clients/constituents
- Sharing your own career path and how you ended up in your current position
- Advising the student on how to make the most of their time at WKU
- Taking the student to lunch with other colleagues (if time allows)
After the shadowing experience, both the student and the shadowing host will complete an evaluation of the job shadowing experience. Please also remember that students will be in different stages of the career development processes, and that for some, this will be their first professional experience in the workplace. We do not expect students to be experts in your industry – our main goal is to have them learn from this experience. We appreciate your patience and guidance as they navigate this process.
Please contact Rachel Jones at email@example.com or 270-745-3095 if you have questions about this process of the host form.