Computer Device Recommendations
The Gordon Ford College of Business has partnered with Dell to create recommended laptop configurations for incoming GFCB students. These recommended laptops can be viewed by following this link (www.dell.com/wku/configs) and then selecting the “Business Students” category. There are three different configurations available here, and each of them were created with student success in mind. While each laptop is customizable to an extent, their basic configurations are designed to be reliable throughout a 4-year program at WKU.
These laptops also include 4-year service warranties. WKU’s TopperTech office employs Dell-certified technicians and can provide warranty services for Dell computers on WKU’s campus. This benefit extends to any Dell computer under warranty, even if it was not purchased at the link above.
If a student prefers to purchase a computer through another company or retailer (or configure their own through Dell), here are the GFCB’s recommended specifications:
- Operating System: Windows 10 or 11
- Note: Many programs within the GFCB use software for coursework that is only available for Windows PCs. Due to this, we recommend against purchasing computers with other operating systems such as Apple or Chromebook computers.
- CPU: Intel i5 or better (or AMD equivalent)
- Memory: 8 GB at minimum, 16 GB is recommended
- Storage: 256 GB at minimum
- Note: All WKU students have access to 1 TB of cloud storage through their WKU email address via OneDrive.
- Access to a webcam and microphone are highly recommended.
Please note that Information Technology Services (ITS) at WKU are happy to provide technical assistance to all WKU students, regardless of the brand/type of computer the student uses. The GFCB highly recommends Dell computers to our students due to the warranty support offered on campus, and the greater availability of software for Windows PCs.
WKU’s TopperTech office also offers loaner laptops to WKU students at no cost. Students are allowed to reserve one computer for up to 16 weeks at a time (one full fall or spring academic semester). For more information on TopperTech’s laptop reservations, please visit their website here: https://toppertech.wku.edu/reservations