NCOA- Bingocize® meets the highest- level criteria for evidence-based disease prevention
and health promotion programs, as established by the Administration on Aging Evidence-Based
Programs Review Committee and qualifies for Title IIID or other applicable discretionary
SNAP-Ed Toolkit- Bingocize® is approved as an evidence-based Obesity Prevention Intervention by the
Bingocize® is an evidence-based 10-week program that combines a bingo-like game with
exercise and health education. The unique addition of bingo addresses many of the
barriers to older adults’ participation because the game is fun, familiar, and done
in a group setting. The program has been shown to increase older adults’ functional
fitness, health knowledge, and social engagement in a variety of settings. A mobile
app version is also available.
The overall goals of the program are to help older adults:
- Improve and/or maintain mobility and independence
- Learn and use health information focused on falls reduction and other health-related
- Engage older adults in social settings
|Reasoning Behind Program Design and Elements
- A significant barrier to improving the health and well-being of sedentary older adults
is getting them to adhere to an exercise-based health promotion program (Picorelli
et al., 2014).
- Older adults enjoy and are more likely to participate in programs that are game-centered,
interactive, and socially engaging
- Multimodal interventions (targeting multiple aspects of physical and/or cognitive
health, such as health education and exercise) are most likely to produce improvements
(Park et al., 2011).
The program targets sedentary older adults at all ability levels, in a variety of
settings, including certified nursing facilities, assisted living, independent living,
and community senior centers.
|Essential Program Components and Activities
Participants (Bingocizers®) complete a series of strategically inserted exercises designed to increase or decrease
the intensity and volume of exercise. Health education questions are also inserted
into the game. Participants rest while numbers are called for the bingo game, then
complete more strategically inserted exercises or health education questions, rest
during number calling, and so on. This pattern is continued until a Bingocizer® wins
the game. Small prizes (not included with program) are awarded to winners. Additional
games are played until all planned exercises are completed.
|Length/Timeframe of Program
- Participants play Bingocize® for one hour 2 times per week for 10 weeks OR
- The program can be even more beneficial if played on an ongoing basis.
|Recommended Class Size
||8-20; >20 requires two certified leaders
- Improved lower/upper body strength, gait, balance, and range of motion
- Improved aspects of cognition (executive function),
- Increased social engagement,
- Improved knowledge of falls risk reduction and other important health topics
- Improved patient activation
|Measures and Evaluation Activities
Recommended pre-participation forms include demographic survey, health history, informed
consent, and physician’s release. Recommended outcome measures are functional reach,
chair stand, Tinetti Falls-Efficacy Scale, PACES-8, WHO QOL-BREF, and the Fun and
Engagement Scale (FUSE™). All forms and outcome measures instructions are available
on the online training website. Certified leaders complete an evaluation of the training,
and participants complete an evaluation of the program.
|Health Outcomes and Evidence Supporting Health Outcomes
- Community-dwelling physically inactive older adults (N=85) participated for approximately
one hour, twice per week, for 10 weeks. They played in groups and were randomly assigned
to either an experimental (Bingo + Health Education + Exercise; n =47) or control
(Bingo + Health Education; n = 38) group.
- Upper body strength improved for both groups, F (1, 81) =11.40, p<.01, but the improvement
was significantly greater for the experimental group (interaction), F (1, 81) =4.78,
- Lower body strength improved for both groups, F (1, 80) =13.38, p<.01, but the improvement
was significantly greater for the experimental group, F (1, 81) =4.44, p=.04.
- As expected, health knowledge on fall risk and osteoarthritis showed a main effect,
such that both groups improved their knowledge of the topics, F(1,83)=275.56, p<.001,
suggesting the program can be effective for improving health knowledge with or without
including the exercise component.
- Health activation values significantly increased from pre- to post-intervention for
both groups, p < 0.05. Attendance was high (>93% in both groups) (Crandall et al.,
- Gait performance associated with fall risk was assessed in participants (N=38; Falls
et al., 2018). Pre/post gait analysis at self-selected (SS) and fast walking speeds
was measured using the GAITRite® Electronic Walkway.
- Significant improvements (group x time) were observed for the experimental group at
fast walking speed for ambulation time (AT) (λ = .878, F (1, 36) = 5.01, p = .031,
ES = .122); velocity (λ = .886, F (1, 36) = 4.61, p = .039, ES = .114); and step length
(λ = .864, F (1, 36) = 5.64, p = .023, ES = .136). Significance at SS speed included
AT (λ = .892, F (1, 36) = 4.37, p = .044, ES = .108) single support (λ = .887, F (1,
36) = 4.59, p = .039, ES = .113); and double support time (λ = .886, F (1, 36) = 4.63,
p = .038, ES = .114).
- Licensing cost: A 2-year license fee is $250.00 per organization, per county. This allows the licensed
organization to use the program in an unlimited number of facilities within one county.
If the organization plans to use the program in more than one county, an additional
license is required for each additional county. For example, an organization purchasing
a license for 3 counties would pay $750 for the licensing fee.
- Training cost: Online training/certification is $150.00 per person. At least one person must be
trained/certified as a leader to implement Bingocize® in your organization. Groups
of more than 20 participants require two certified leaders. Recertification is required after
2 years (cost is $75.00 for recertification); training includes online access to targeted
educational and marketing materials for participants, as well as a manual for certified
- Equipment cost: Bingocize® in a Box is $250 (plus shipping and handling). The durable and reusable box contains equipment
for up to 20 participants (purchase of at least one box is required with a license, but we suggest purchasing a box for each leader
to take to the sites they serve). The box Includes resistance bands, therapy balls,
an official Bingocize® t-shirt for one leader, and a leader's manual.
- A Mobile App: The Bingocize® app is available as a great add-on option for a flat fee of $350 and
can be used in any counties the organization has licensed. This adds a fun, interactive
technology component to the original game for facilities that are more technology
savvy, while the original game may still be more appropriate in other facilities.
- Prizes: We now offer optional curriculum reinforcement packages that can be used as prizes
to award to winners during Bingocize® play. Three cost levels are available: $100,
$200, and $300. The $100 level contains roughly 40 small-medium size prizes, and
the $300 level contains roughly 90 prizes ranging from small-large prizes. These
packages can be ordered through Bingocize® when purchasing the program.
- Apparel: We also encourage facilities to consider purchasing Bingocize® licensed apparel for leaders, and also as prizes for participants. The black t-shirt and polo are
designed for leaders, and the white t-shirt, which says “I’m a Bingocizer™ ” on the
back, makes a great shirt for participants to win, as do the hats and beanies we offer.
| Resource Requirements
- Large room with tables and sturdy chairs without wheels; participants should be able to stand and move at least 4 feet from the table in each
- Room size should allow space for certified leader to move about the room.
- Class size- up to 20 participants if one certified leader; more than 20 requires two
- A strong WIFI connection is needed for the mobile app add-on; tablets are needed for
- Equipment and material:
- A reusable Bingocize® in a Box is required, which contains equipment for up to 20 participants and includes resistance
bands, therapy balls, an official Bingocize® t-shirt for the Leader, and a Leader Manual. Targeted educational and marketing materials
for leaders to use are available for download on the online training site.
- Small prizes for Bingocize® game winners; $1.00-$2.00 per prize; 2-3 prizes awarded per game (not included)
Online leader training consists of five self-paced modules.