Symphonic Band Audition Music Fall 2018
Symphonic Band auditions will be scheduled on August 23, 24, and 25, 2018. A schedule will be emailed out to students with a link to sign-up electronically for an audition time in early August. Students will sign-up using their WKU Student ID# to maintain anonymity. Auditions will be behind a screen (faculty will not see students auditioning and will not know who is performing) and each audition time slot will be seven minutes.
Please prepare the noted excerpts for your instrument. It is strongly suggested that you LISTEN to several good recodings of each work to get a good sense of tempo and style. Students can find recordings on YouTube, Naxos, iTunes, Spotify, etc. All WKU Students can access Naxos online through the WKU library webpage for FREE. In addition, students will be asked to play two major scales (up to four sharps or four flats) and the chromatic scale (excluding percussionists) demonstrating your practical range (starting pitch of your choice and two to three octaves please). Auditions will also include two brief sight-reading etudes (rhythmic and melodic).
Clink here for additional instructions and information.
All students receiving a Music Grant MUST audition for Symphonic Band. Orchestra woodwind, brass, and percussion personnel will be determined from these same auditions. The top chairs in the Symphonic Band will also serve in the orchestra. If interested in performing with the Orchestra, be sure to also prepare the Orchestra audition music.
Piccolo: Flutists that would like to be considered for piccolo parts assignments should also prepare and perform the piccolo excerpts.
Bass Clarinet: Students wishing to audition on bass clarinet should prepare both the Bb Bass Clarinet excerpts AND the Bb Clarinet excerpts.
Saxophone: All saxophonists will prepare and audition on alto saxophone in order to fairly assess all students on the same audition materials. Part assignments for tenor and baritone saxophone will be made in consultation with Dr. Cipolla after all auditions have been completed. .
Percussion: All percussionists will prepare and audition on xylophone, snare drum, and timpani as part of their audition. Sight-reading will be performed on the marimba and snare drum. Please be sure to bring appropriate sticks, mallets, and a pitch pipe to your audition.
The first Symphonic Band rehearsal is Tuesday, August 28, at 3:45 pm in the Instrumental Rehearsal Hall. Folders may be picked up any time after 12:00 pm on Monday, August 27. Symphonic Band members are expected to practice the music BEFORE the first rehearsal.
Orchestra woodwind, brass, and percussion personnel will be determined from the Symphonic Band auditions. The top chairs in the Symphonic Band will also serve in the orchestra. If interested in performing with the Orchestra, be sure to also prepare the Orchestra audition music.
Tips for completing a successful audition
- Listen to a good recording of the audition music on YouTube, Naxos, iTunes, etc. This will give you a good sense of the correct tempo and proper style.
- Practice again!
- Practice sight-reading. Find an etude book and play through some music that you have not seen before. Select a slower tempo that will allow you to play the rhythms correctly. When sight-reading, rhythm is the most important element followed by key (playing the correct notes), and then musicality. Many people play their sight-reading exercises too fast and then crash when they get to more complicated rhythms. Practice counting rhythms while tapping your foot to a steady beat. Use a metronome when practicing.
Check out https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/
Select the ‘demo mode’ and you can practice lots of sight-reading etudes for FREE
- Practice more!
- Practice major scales up to four sharps and four flats (two octaves preferred), PLUS a two octave chromatic scale.
- Be prepared to audition!
- arrive early
- dress comfortably but look like you are there to audition, not mow the yard
- oil valves, empty condensation, bring extra reeds, etc.
- Relax, take a few depth breaths, and have fun!
|SYMPHONIC BAND AUDITION MUSIC||ORCHESTRA AUDITION MUSIC|