Links to Organizations Related to Child Studies
- Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA)
- Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA)
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Healthy Families America (HFA)
- Health Access Nurturing Development Services (HANDS)
- National Head Start Association
- National Council on Family Relations (NCFR)
Applied Health Sciences
1906 College Heights Blvd #11037
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1037
FAQ's about the Child Studies concentration.
What is the Child Studies concentration?
- The central purpose of this program is to prepare students who are interested in working in a child and family-focused environment. The graduates will have a broad knowledge base working with children and families. The major will provide graduates with entry-level competencies for child and family life.
- For current students, in order to declare a major in Child Studies, follow these steps:
- Sign in to TOPNET
- Click 'Change Major' option
- Under "Field of Study" Major 1 drop down menu, select "Family & Consumer Sciences (563)". Child Studies is a concentration under that subject heading.
- The menu would look similar to this:
- In the Concentration 1 drop down menu, choose "Child Studies"
- The Child Studies concentration requires a minor, thus in order to declare a minor, you would choose your minor from the "Minor 1" drop down menu.
- Once you are finished with this form, click submit, and then PRINT the form. The form must be submitted to the AHS office in paper form.
- If you are having difficulties with declaring Child Studies as your major, please call 270-745-4352 and speak with Mrs. Warden.
- For incoming students who are interested in the Child Studies Concentration, you must first apply to WKU. Please click here for admissions information.
- This major does require a minor. There are many minor options! When thinking of a minor, try to think about what you want to 'do' when are finished with this degree. Your minor can help prepare you for job opportunities.
- Child Studies majors CANNOT minor in Child Studies.
Do I student teach with the Child Studies Concentration?
- No, you do not student teach with any of our concentration areas.
- A 2.0 GPA is required by WKU to graduate.
Can I teach with the Child Studies degree?
- Yes - you can teach with this degree. You cannot teach in public schools. As with any employment position, some businesses/companies may have specific degree requirements. You can do many things with this degree! Talk with your advisor about the many opportunities you will have with the Child Studies degree or click here for an abbreviated list of career opportunities.
I am a new student to WKU (either by transferring or by starting my college career). Is there a program that can help me get oriented to WKU?
- If you are a student who is transferring to WKU or if you are a new student attending WKU, we highly recommend you attend an Topper Orientation Program (TOP) session. Even if you are going to take classes *online,* we recommend you attend a TOP session to become familiar with all that WKU has to offer. Your advisor is available to help you with your major area of concentration. The TOP folks will help you become familiar with WKU, setting up your email, obtaining your student ID, student ID number, etc. For information on how to register for a TOP session please click: TOP
Welcome to Child Studies!
What students have to say about our faculty and department:
Every time I see a faculty member or an administrator, they always have great service with a smile. Even when they are in a rush to complete a mission they always take the time to listen and have great body language! When students see that professors are dedicated to their passion then the students stay in their majors. I remember when I switched to two majors and then when I accepted the Family Studies major and minor in Child Studies. I knew I had made the right choice. Even when the criteria for a class is hard, they encouraged me to fight for my grades. The laughs, jokes and smiles are always heart-warming and make external stressors seem as if they did not exist. So, I thank the department from the bottom of my heart.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,