- NOW! - Faculty PD Program
- Fall 2015 - E&A Assessment
- Ongoing Faculty PD
- ENG 100/COMM 145
- ENG 300
- Connections Courses
- Online Resource Guide
- New Teaching Resources
- Calibrated Peer-Review
- Baseline Needs Assessment
- Annual SLO Assessment
- CCTST-N Instructions
A WEB-BASED SYSTEM FOR CALIBRATED PEER REVIEW
Peer review is a well-established pedagogical approach within core writing and human communication courses at WKU, including ENG 100, COMM 145, and ENG 300; however, it is not widely or systematically employed in other courses across the university that incorporate a significant component of critical analysis/argumentation. A web-based, calibrated peer review system could facilitate the training of students in recognizing important features of standard genres of argument, including lab reports, literature reviews, and rhetorical analyses.
A critical element of this calibrated approach is the training artifact, through which students learn to appropriately apply a designated rubric to a written, oral, or multimedia product in preparation for assessing their own work or that of others. E&A will explore alternative calibrated peer-review platforms and their potential utility for faculty across the university. Specific initiatives are anticipated to include:
- Evaluating the features, flexibility, and cost of various calibrated peer review solutions;
- Working with academic departments and programs to gauge their interest in incorporating a calibrated peer review system into their curriculum;
- Collaborating with Academic Technology staff to asess the technical requirements and associated cost of alternative products;
- Deploying an appropriate web-based system (assuming sufficient interest across the university) for use by faculty and programs; and
- Training faculty and departments on the use of the selected system, and identifying target opportunities for its incorporation.
Want to be involved in this initiative? Send us an email.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,