How do I search you? Let me count the ways
Tips Sheet No. 7
by Cindy Etkin, Elaine Moore, & Peggy Wright - Library Public Services
1. TOPCAT can be accessed on campus from any PC connected to the campus networ (WKUNet)
or from any PC with a modem on or offcampus by dial-up connection.
2. TOPCAT includes the WKU Libraries' book and journal holdings but not government documents!
3. You can look up the status of any book ordered for the library on TOPCAT. You can ask any librarian to request a book be priority catalogued for you and you will be notified as soon as it is available.
4. FirstSearch provides access via the Internet from on or off campus to 50 interdisciplinary databases including WorldCat, a catalog of the holdings of 18,000 libraries worldwide.
5. Faculy and graduate students can obtain passwords to search FirstSearch by registering for a FirstSearch workshop with the Libraries Electronic Information Coordinator, Elaine Moore, x6122.
6. Do some preliminary research before you go to the library. Search TOPCAT and several of the Libraries' CD- ROM indexes from your office via WKUNet.
7. If you are researching a topic that is cross-disciplinary between education, health, and psychology, the Libraries' CD-ROM indexes for these subjects can now be searched simultaneously if accessed through WKUNet.
8. Also searchable simultaneously with the above databases is the GPO on SilverPlatter, the CD-ROM index to government docurnents. It is a good idea to search this title as well... it is probable that the government has published something on your topic!
9. Look for access to the Federal Register, the Congressional Record, Congressional bills, and the United States Code on WKUNet in the near future.
10. Arrange for your classes to have a research instruction session on what's available in the library and how to use electronic resources by calling Reference Services at x6115.
The Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching
firstname.lastname@example.org -- Phone (270) 745-6508 -- Fax (270) 745-6145.
Location: 1783 Chestnut Street, Bowling Green, KY 42101.
Mailing Address: 1906 College Heights Blvd #11095, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1095.
Page created date: c2000; Last modified: April 2003.
Site created: July 1996. All contents © since 1996.
This page is in compliance with Section 508 and W3C Priority-I guidelines.
If you find it to be inaccessible, please contact the Webmaster with the URL.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,