Basic Teaching Skills
Tip Sheet No . 30
by Sally Kuhlenschmidt, CTL Director & Psychology
from the CTL Workshop presented Jan 31, 1997
1. As teachers we must help facilitate the basic skills of learning in terms of the cognitive, emotional, and behavioral aspects of learning.
2. Teachers have an incredible amount of influence on students as their role models.
3. On the first day of class you are setting classroom norms, e.g., will class begin on time? Everything you do on that day is very important.
4. Using examples will increase a student’s understanding of concepts.
5. Encourage high levels of interaction with students in class.
6. Most teachers need to wait longer for students to respond to questions. What seems like eternity to the teacher is seconds to the student (and in reality).
7. Learning to teach is an ongoing process.
8. Some of the resources available to help teachers include the books, videotapes, etc. available at the Center for Teaching and Learning.
For more information about this workshop, contact the CTL staff or any of the following individuals who attended:
Eric Barth, Eric Bronson, Jennifer Burdette, Ellery Lee, Brian Stone, or Alfred Williams.
The Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching
email@example.com -- Phone (270) 745-6508 -- Fax (270) 745-6145.
Location: 1783 Chestnut Street, Bowling Green, KY 42101.
Mailing Address: 1906 College Heights Blvd #11095, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1095.
Page created date: c2000; Last modified: April 2003.
Site created: July 1996. All contents © since 1996.
This page is in compliance with Section 508 and W3C Priority-I guidelines.
If you find it to be inaccessible, please contact the Webmaster with the URL.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,