Basic Distance Education Teleconference
Tip Sheet No. 19
from the CTL workshop
facilitated by Joe Fulmer, Ed. Television
March 11, 1996
1. Prepare students for distance learning in the first class session. Encourage them
to assert themselves.
2. Be sure to send all information--handouts, syllabi, assignments--to all sites before class. If the information is not available for everyone, don't use it in class.
3. Help students at the distant site stay involved by allowing them to choose their seat. Get a copy of the off-site seating chart so you may address students by name, not only by site.
4. Another way to know names of students would be to create name plates for all students so you may address them by name and site.
5. When asking if students have questions or comments, pause long enough for students to truly have time to respond.
6. When preparing graphics, use landscape -- lengthwise -- orientation. Text should be 1 and 1/2 line spaces apart, bold, at least 24 point size, and in a very readable font style such as Arial or Times. Use upper and lower case letters.
For more information about this workshop, contact the CTL staff or any of the following individuals who attended: Sue Bryant or Susan Johnstad.
The Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching
firstname.lastname@example.org -- Phone (270) 745-6508 -- Fax (270) 745-6145.
Location: 1783 Chestnut Street, Bowling Green, KY 42101.
Mailing Address: 1906 College Heights Blvd #11095, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1095.
Page created date: c2000; Last modified: April, 2003.
Site created: July 1996. All contents © since 1996.
This page is in compliance with Section 508 and W3C Priority-I guidelines.
If you find it to be inaccessible, please contact the Webmaster with the URL.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,