2004 Cover Design Contest
Along with our new name, Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching (or FaCET), and location (1783 Chestnut St.) we need a new cover design that makes us quickly identifiable to the campus community and helps identify our mission and activities. Our new cover design will be used in a variety of print and electronic formats.
A prize of $100 (donated by the Faculty Advisory Committee and staff) will be awarded the winning entry. Selection will be done by the Center's Faculty Advisory Council and staff. The winner will be recognized in our newsletter, The Teaching Spirit, and on our website (http://www.wku.edu/teaching).
Deadline for Receipt of Entries
All entries must be received at FaCET before 4:30pm on April 19, 2004, with a decision being made by May 3. Submissions will be displayed during our open hourse on April 1 and 2. See below for submission requirements.
Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching (FaCET)
Western Kentucky University
1783 Chestnut Street
Bowling Green, KY 42101
Eligibility and Rules
All WKU employees and current students are eligible to submit, including professional designers and FaCET Faculty Advisory Council members or FaCET staff. Submitters associated with FaCET will not be permitted to be involved in the decision making process. There is no limit as to the number of designs an individual may submit.
Design submissions may be images or arrangements of our letters or our name but the entry must be your original design, and not use any sources that may be subject to copyright laws. All entries must demonstrate that any artwork and images used are the original work of the entrant, and are unencumbered by any third-party copyrights or trademarks. In the event of essentially duplicate submissions, the first submitted will be awarded the prize.
By submitting an entry, you agree to grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use your design entry for purposes of the contest, and if chosen as the winner, for any other purpose relating to the Faculty Center. All submissions become the property of Western Kentucky University. The Center reserves the right to select any or no design, and to alter the selected design as we see appropriate.
The cover design should reflect the vision and values of WKU that the Center tries
Western Kentucky University … places a premium on teaching and learning. Its faculty engage in creative activity and diverse scholarship, …designed to … improve instruction, increase learning, and provide optimum service to the state and nation.
And the cover design should reflect our own vision statement:
The Center inspires excellence in teaching. We promote exemplary ideas, activities, and resources designed to engage learners in the classroom and beyond.
It should reflect our values, characterized by a respect for diverse ideas and points of view, a scholarly approach to teaching, creativity, and helpful problem-solving. The following phrases or terms may capture the "FaCET spirit" and may provide some ideas for you: Ideas not absolutes. Effective communication. Food for thought. Need help? Just ask. Welcome to New Faculty orientation. The Teaching Spirit. The Scholarship of Teaching & Learning. Effective Undergraduate Education. Faces of Learning. Academic Integrity. Metaphors for teaching. Ultimately teaching and learning is a conversation.
You can learn more about the Center at http://www.wku.edu/teaching/
The cover design will appear in the following formats.
- Print: Newsletter, booklets, pamphlets, bookmarks, door cards, name tags, video spine & equipment labels
- Electronic: email postings, website, screensavers, color transparencies or digital projections
- 3-d: buttons, promotional items
- Very small: bookmarks, screensaver branding,
- Enlarged: posters, outdoor signs,
- Low resolution: website, email.
- High resolution: invitations, newsletters, posters
- Formal: invitations, letterhead
- More casual: pamphlets, signs, “fun” items
Each submission should be provided on white paper and delivered to the Center at 1783 Chestnut, Bowling Green, KY 42101. (We will be duplicating them on colored paper to test the appearance). It should include:
- one version in black and white approximately 1 inch in size and a 2nd approximately 4 inches. (Size is for just the illustration, not the name if included in the design).
- one in color (if any)
- The submitters identifying information (Name, address, phone(s), email) on a separate piece of paper. [Note to graduating students who submit: if you win and we can’t reach you by the end of the fiscal year, June 30, you may forfeit your prize. Please include sufficient contact information.]
You may include one version with the Center name or initials (identify the font used on the back) if it is not otherwise incorporated into the design.
A winning cover design will meet these requirements:
- Looks good in black & white as well as color and across various formats (see below). Although any colors may be used, it should look good in one and two spot color designs as well.
- Provides options to place our name below or to the side of the cover design or to remove it
- Reflects our mission, vision, and values.
- Is welcoming and aspirational.
- Is clear, eye-catching and can be recognized from a distance.
Resources to Help You
We have a poster of cover designs from other faculty development centers. It may spark some ideas. You can view a small copy at http://atech2.wku.edu/skuhlens/denver03/poster.htm or visit the FaCET to view a larger document.
Contact Sally Kuhlenschmidt (270-745-6508) with any questions or to discuss cover design ideas.
You may want to visit the new location (1783 Chestnut) as a way of generating ideas. We may have an architectural feature that inspires you.
The Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching
firstname.lastname@example.org -- Phone (270) 745-6508 -- Fax (270) 745-6145.
Location: 1783 Chestnut Street, Bowling Green, KY 42101.
Mailing Address: 1906 College Heights Blvd #11095, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1095.
Page created date: 2004; Last modified: September 9, 2011.
Site created: July 1996. All contents © since 1996.
This page is in compliance with Section 508 and W3C Priority-I guidelines.
If you find it to be inaccessible, please contact the Webmaster with the URL.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,