Explore different regions of Kentucky and learn how the Commonwealth's history is shaped by the landscape and the people who make Kentucky their home.
Semester + Spring Break Package
Students register for either the History of Geography class.
- See the course instructor prior to registration to make sure your are clear on the course requirements and expectations.
- Both courses include the Kentucky Experience spring break component.
- The program fee includes the spring break Kentucky Experience program, but does not include the 3-credit hour tuition.
Student in other classes may participate in the study away experience. The courses are to be determined, but these areas are developing "plug-in" components:
- Social Work
- Communications 263
- Math 183
- Psychology 483
- FLK 388: Foodways
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Good academic standing.
- Permission of instructor(s) is required.
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses may apply. Students from outside WKU may participate as visiting students.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- Students must be free of active disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Students must complete all pre-departure orientations.
- Full payment prior to departure is required.
- Students must complete the Study Away application process prior to being registered in this course. We suggest you start this application process immediately and respond to all emails promptly
Included in Base Package
- Meals (as listed in schedule)
- Admission for program activities
- Program-related ground transportation
Excluded from Base Package
- Items not explicitly listed in package.
- Tuition for Spring 2015 Graduate or Undergraduate tuition for 3 credit hours
- Cost of independent travel (non-program travel)
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone call, and internet access
- Tips for guides and drivers
Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
Planned Schedule for Spring Break 2015 (subject to change)
|March 9||Lincoln Birthplace National Park. Bardstown|
|March 10||Perryville Battle Field. Shakertown at Pleasant Hill|
|March 11||Buffalo Trace Tour Distillery. Frankfort – Capitol Tour. Lexington - Tour of Horse Farms OR Kentucky Horse Park|
|March 12||Cane Ridge KY. Natural Bridge State Park. Benham - Kentucky Coal Mine Museum|
|March 13||Harlan. Corbin - Lunch at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Cumberland Falls State Park|
|March 14||Barthell Coal Mining Camp. Berea - Kentucky Artisan Center. Renfro Valley - Kentucky Music Hall of Fame. Return to Glasgow|
The schedule is subject to change due to educational opportunities that may arise unexpectedly, the vagaries of weather, and other factors beyond the control of the course instructors and staff.
Study Away & Connected Courses
- History 456 / 456G - Kentucky History
- Geography 352 - Geography of Kentucky
- Connect Courses
- Jennifer Hanley
- Amy Nemon
Geography & Geology
Non Credit Option
- Shakertown at Pleasant Hill
- Benham School House Inn
- Cumberland Falls State Park
- Spring 2015 course
- Study Away program - Spring Break
Program Package (estimate)
- $699 - $899 - Study Away portion only.
- Final program fee determined by number of participants
- Regular semester tuition paid separately.
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,