Get early experiences in the engineering industry.
About the Program
This program is specifically designed to allow students who are interested in becoming engineering majors, or interested in a career in the industry. Students explore a sequence of industry-based cases illustrating basic engineering principles applied in local engineering sites. Interactions with practicing engineers provide real-world applications of selected topics, while a traditional instruction provides basic theory and underlying principles that pertain to the cases. Presentations, teamwork, experimentation, and professional communication are emphasized and practiced.
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses.
- Students from outside WKU may participate as visiting students.
- Good academic standing (Undergraduate Catalog p.27; Graduate Catalog p.30)
- Honors section requires a 3.2 cumulative GPA or good standing in the Honors College
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Full payment prior to departure.
- Completion of all pre-departure orientations.
- Permission of instructor.
- Complete Study Away application
Included in Base Package
- Undergraduate tuition for 3 credit hours ($1,090 value)
- All transportation cost to various locations
- Most lunches on field work days
Excluded from Base Package
- Items not explicitly listed in package.
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity.
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program.
Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
Planned Schedule - (coming soon)
The schedule is subject to change due to educational opportunities that may arise unexpectedly, the vagaries of weather, and other factors beyond the control of the course instructors and staff.
- ENGR 250
- Dr. Julie Ellis
Engineering Department Head
- Bowling Green
- Fruit of the Loom
- Logan Aluminum
- MTD, Inc.
- Trace Die Cast, Inc.
- Winter 2014
- $1,190 - $1,599
- Syllabus (coming soon)
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.