Dive into this hands on floodplain experience!
Upon completion of this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the damage potential of hurricanes
- Explain the political dimension of hurricane preparation, response, and recovery
- Identify coastal flood risk using FEMA flood maps
- Describe coastal flooding and damage mechanisms
- Weather Policy - We will be traveling in Florida in January. Expect a range of temperatures and wet weather. Bring rain gear.
- Trip Guidance: Some class excursions will involve walking. Participants should be in good physical condition, and should come prepared to hike. Participants should be alert for traffic and other hazards on field trips, and stay with the group. Because of the hiking in weather extremes, participants should bring and drink plenty of liquids (non-alcoholic). Some of the venues will be on beaches and in the Everglades. Bring sun screen and insect repellent. Some of the wildlife where we travel is dangerous. Be alert in these areas, and stay together.
Included in Base Package
- Undergraduate tuition for 3 credit hours ($1,090 value)
- Seven nights of accommodations
- Most breakfasts, and some additional meals
- Course-related ground transportation
- Round-trip flight from Nashville to destination
- Entrance Fees to group excursion locations
Excluded from Base Package
- Items not explicitly list in package
- Transportation between your departure airport and your home
- Independent travel (non-program travel)
- Meals, services, and beverages not listed
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone service, and Internet access
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity
- Travel cancellation/interruption insurance. (highly recommended)
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight / program changes
Study Abroad courses are not eligible for employee tuition waivers or discounts. Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
Travel to Miami, drive to Key Largo
Key Largo with travel to Miami
National Hurricane Center and Miami Forecast Office
Lake Okeechobee and travel to Billy's Swamp Safari
Airboat Swamp Safari - Travel to Sarasota/St. Pete
Sarasota County Environmental Services
Hillsborough County floodplain administrator
|January 10||Fly from Tampa, return to Bowling Green|
The schedule is subject to change due to educational opportunities that may arise unexpectedly, the vagaries of weather, and other factors beyond the control of the course instructors and staff.
- CE 475
- GEOG 475
- GEOL 475
- Warren Campbell, PhD, PE, CFM
Hall Professor of Civil Engineering
- Key Largo
- St. Petersburg
- Winter 2015
- $2,059 (estimate)
- Syllabus (tentative)
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,