New Orleans to Houston
Humans, Hurricanes, and Darwin Awards
Experience Hands on History of the Deadliest Hurricanes.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- Be able to explain the politics of response to catastrophic coastal storms
- Describe impacts of severe storms on society and the economy
- Explain the political fallout from anemic response to major disasters
- Describe some approaches to building disaster resistant communities
- Must be 18 years of age or older at time of departure
- Ability to complete course requirements
- Good Academic Standing
- Approval of Judicial Affairs (if currently under any sanction)
- Junior standing or permission of instructor
- Complete Study Away application process
- Current WKU student eligible to register for winter term course
- We will be traveling in the humid Gulf coast. Temperatures can range from very warm to quite cold so bring layers and rain gear.
- Classes may involve walking in areas with dangerous animals such as poisonous snakes and insects. Stay alert during classes and do not wander away from the group
- Program will involve walking so participants should wear proper shoes that are comfortable for walking and cover their feet.
- Adequate physical condition is needed to access the sites.
- Includes 3-credit hour tuition ($1,062 estimated value), round-trip airfare from Nashville, accommodations, two meals/day, all group excursions.
- Not included in program fee: transportation from home to the departure airport /return from airport to your home, and personal spending money.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
|January 5||Fly from Nashville to New Orleans|
|January 6||Noah’s Ark Baptist Church – Rev. Willie Walker, Lower 9th Ward|
|January 7||Tulane – Judith Kinnard – Prototype Homes|
|January 8||Visits to canal and pump stations in New Orleans|
|January 9||Drive to Pas Christian – View elevated homes and damage|
|January 10||Travel to Galveston|
|January 11||Visit with Doug Brinkley|
|January 12||Tour Galveston, drive to Houston|
|January 13||Fly from Houston to Nashville|
- CE 475
- GEOG 475
- GEOL 475
- Warren Campbell, PhD, PE, CFM
- New Orleans
- Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Winter 2013
- $1,900 - $2,100 (estimate)
- Coming Soon
- Syllabus (coming soon)
- Start your Study Away Application
- November 1: Priority Deadline - Application with first payment
- December 1: Final Payment
- January 5: Depart for New Orleans
- January 10: Travel to Galveston
- January 13: Return to Nashville
* subject to change