O'ahu and the Big Island
Geographic Exploration of Hawaii
Explore the Geography of Hawaii by land and sea!
About the Program
Dive into an academic adventure in which you will explore Hawaii's geography by air, land, and sea! Experience first-hand Hawaii's complexity and variety cultures and geography.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- Acquire a better understanding of the contemporary Hawaii
- Discuss the historical events that affect Hawaiian outlook on the environment and culture
- Express an opinion about the position Hawaii occupies in the globalized context
- Comprehend and evaluate how globalization affects Hawaii
- Lodging in O'ahu: Waikiki Backpackers Hostel: http://www.hostelsinhawaii.com/
- Lodging on the Big Island: Hilo Backpackers Hostel: http://www.hilobackpackershostel.com/
- Hawaii Shark Encounters - http://hawaiisharkencounters.com/
- 'Iolani Palace - http://www.iolanipalace.org/index.php/visit/hours-admission.html
- USS Arizona Memorial National Historic Park: http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm
- Bishop Museum – http://www.bishopmuseum.org/visitors/
- National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific ("Punchbowl") - http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/nmcp.asp
- Polynesian Cultural Center - http://www.polynesia.com/
- Royal Hawaiian Center: http://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/info/culturalprogramming
- Surf Lessons Waikiki Beach Services: http://www.waikikibeachservices.com/surf-lessons/
- Grand Circle Island and Volcano Tour: http://www.polyad.com/hawaii/grand_island_tour.html
- Helicopter Tour - Circle of Fire & Water Falls: http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/tours/circle_of_fire/
- Whale Watch: http://www.discoverhawaiitours.com/to/big-island-whale-watch-tour.html
- Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park: http://www.nps.gov/puho/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm
- Big Island Historic Sunset Cruise: - http://www.discoverhawaiitours.com/to/big-island-sunset-cruise.html
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses.
- Students from outside WKU may participate as visiting students.
- Good academic standing (Undergraduate Catalog p.27; Graduate Catalog p.30)
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Have current health insurance – this is important as we will be doing many outdoor activities!
- Full payment prior to departure.
- Completion of all pre-departure orientations.
- Permission of instructor(s).
- While the program requires a 3.0 GPA for attendance, program leaders will consider all applicants who apply. Students with lower GPA may be allowed entrance with permission from program leaders.
- Complete Study Away application
Included in Package
- Tuition for 3 credit hours ($1,059 value for resident undergraduates – see details of value ).
- Round-trip airfare from Nashville.
- Interisland airfare.
- Accommodations in Hawaii.
- Three group meals (Welcome Dinner, Volcano Picnic, and Historical Sunset Cruise)
- Program-related excursions.
Excluded from Package
- Transportation from home to Nashville airport /return from Nashville to your home.
- Personal expenses.
- Cost of independent travel (non-program travel)
- Meals & Services and beverages not included in the program.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone call, internet access.
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for guides and drivers.
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight / program changes
Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
WKU tuition discounts do not apply.
- Program will involve walking so participants should wear proper shoes that are comfortable for walking and cover their feet. We will be visiting the Volcanos National Park: you will need to wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes as this tour traverses sharp, uneven lava surfaces.
- Fumes (volcanic gasses) are hazardous to everyone's health – although our time around them will be limited, you should advise the Program Leader if you have any heart or breathing problems.
- We will also be spending time in the ocean – bring a swimsuit and sun block.
- You must have current health insurance for this program as we will be doing many outdoor activities!
Planned Schedule - January 2014 (tentative)
|January 6||Fly from Nashville, TN to Honolulu, O'ahu, Hawaii|
|January 7||Hawaii Shark Encounters and Iolani Palace|
|January 8||Honolulu/Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona Memorial/ Bishop Museum & National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific ("Punchbowl")|
|January 9||Polynesian Cultural Center|
|January 10||Royal Hawaiian Center|
|January 11||Surf History and Lesson|
|January 12||Fly from Oahu to Big Island – Lodging in Kona|
|January 13||Grand Circle Island and Volcano Tour|
|January 14||Helicopter Tour - Circle of Fire & Water Falls|
|January 15||Whale Watching|
|January 16||Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park/ Big Island Historic Sunset Cruise|
|January 17||Return to Nashville|
- Erin Greunke
- O'ahu and the Big Island, Hawaii
- Winter 2014
- $3,700 - $4,200 (est.)