Art & Design of Chicago
Be inspired with the very latest in Interior Design from Chicago.
About the Program
This course combines online learning with first-hand experience through a novel approach to learning. Students in this program will travel to fashion and design centers to gain firsthand knowledge concerning design, production, marketing and promotions of textiles, clothing and home furnishings.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- Become familiar with the basic concepts of an apparel (and/or interior design) marketplace
- Understand the depth and scope of the fashion (interior design) industry
- Participate in face to face visits with industry professionals
- Conduct career networking
- Permission of instructor(s) is required.
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses may apply.
- Students from outside WKU may participate as visiting students.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- Students must be free of active disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Students must complete all pre-departure orientations.
- Full payment prior to departure is required.
Included in Package
- Undergraduate tuition for 3 credit hours ($1,090 value)
- Accommodations at Hyatt Place Chicago
- Daily breakfast in Chicago
- Entrance fees to program excursion sites
- Chicago Architecture Cruise
- Round-trip flight between Nashville and Chicago
- Transportation to and from airport
- 3 Day CTA Pass Excluded from Base Package
Excluded from Package
- Transportation between your departure airport and your home
- Independent travel (non-program travel)
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone service, and Internet access
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity
- Travel cancellation/interruption insurance (Recommended)
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight / program changes
Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
Study Away courses are not eligible for employee tuition waivers or discounts.
- This program combines online and independent learning with a travel component. Students must participate in all course assignments to receive credit.
- This program includes working closely in a professional environment. The highest levels or professionalism and maturity are required.
- During designated free time, students are allowed to explore the city independent of the instructor. Never go anywhere alone. Please be accountable to your roommates by making them aware of your whereabouts at all times. Be safe.
|June 9||Travel to Chicago. Architectural Cruise|
|June 10||NeoCon at Merchandise Mart|
|June 11||Kitchen and Bath Tour. Art Institute of Chicago|
|June 12||Return to Nashville|
The schedule is subject to change due to educational opportunities that may arise unexpectedly, the vagaries of weather, and other factors beyond the control of the course instructors and staff.
- IDFM 423: Human Environment Study Tour
- Amy Hersch
- Chicago, IL
- Summer 2014
June 9-12, 2014
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,