Job Posting: Director of SAGL,
Connect with us
Financial Aid for Study Abroad
Students planning to utilize financial aid should be aware that federal regulations prohibit the release of aid before the beginning of the term (including Study Abroad Scholarships). The earliest possible release of funds is 10 days prior to the program start date.
Most forms of financial aid may be used to pay for study abroad program fees. If you are applying for federal aid and are already receiving your academic maximum amount of Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Student Loans, you may not be eligible to receive additional federal financial aid for the winter or summer term if you remain at the same grade level.
If you wish to use your WKU financial aid to help pay for a study abroad program, here are the steps you will need to follow:
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- In some instances, a consortium agreement is required before aid can be considered for classes taken as part of a study abroad program. The Office of Student Financial Assistance will contact you via your WKU email if this is needed.
- Meet with the Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning (located in Grise Hall, 128) to determine the cost associated with your program. The program budget will be forwarded to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. The cost information will be used to determine your budget and financial aid. The budget is the limit of money you may receive for the program. Loans are generally the only type of aid that can be increased.
- If you wish to apply your scholarships to your program cost, send Andy Wagoner, Assistant
Director for Academic Scholarships, an email with your WKU ID and request that your
scholarships be applied to your program costs. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will count as a semester of eligibility. This notification should be sent by
November 1 for Winter and Spring Programs and March 1 for Summer and Fall Programs.
- KEES scholarship money may only be applied to programs which originate in the state of Kentucky. Also, WKU National/International Academic and Military Tuition Scholarships cannot be applied.
- For study abroad Scholarship information, contact the Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning at email@example.com or (270)745-5334.
- Your parents may increase their Parent Plus loan if they have been approved for the current academic year based on the cost of your trip. Your parents must notify Nancy Alfonso (firstname.lastname@example.org) if they wish to do so.
- Private/Alternate loans may be used to help cover study abroad program cost after other types of federal aid have been exhausted, Generally, a co-signer is required before loans can be processed and the loans often have higher interest rates than Federal Direct loans. The website for information is http://www.wku.edu/finacialaid/alternativeloansupply.php.
Western Kentucky University
Student Financial Assistance
Study Abroad and Global Learning