Post-Award Responsibilities & Accountability
Principal Investigator/Project Director
1. I am responsible for notifying my Department Head/Unit Head/Director when I receive an award that includes reassigned effort, whether cost-shared or bought-out by the sponsor.
2. I am the budget steward of my grant and must ensure that all expenditures are directly related to the project as detailed in the proposal to the sponsor, including expenditures charged to a University purchasing card.
3. I will be held accountable for complying with the timeline, as set forth in the proposal, and making expenditures in a timely fashion in direct correlation with the established timeline.
4. If there is any major deviation from the established timeline, I will bring it to the attention of Sponsored Programs so the sponsor can be notified and, if needed, approve the change.
5. I am responsible for the project outcomes as well as expenditure compliance.
6. I am responsible for reading and understanding all documents, including electronic documents, which I sign/approve.
7. I am responsible for understanding and complying with the requirements of the sponsor's award document.
8. I am required to schedule an appointment for a training session with Grants & Contracts Accounting on financial processes concerning my grant. (This is a one-time training session.)
9. I am required to certify my effort on the project with time and effort documents that are entered in and reflected in University financial records. This is an audit item and time/effort certified should be real time/effort.
10. I am responsible for the submission of timely technical reports to the sponsor as detailed in the award document.
11. I must notify Sponsored Programs of any change to the scope of work on the awarded project. (Usually these changes require sponsor approval.)
12. If this is an NSF-funded project, I am responsible for ensuring that all personnel supported by the grant meet NSF's RCR training requirement. (http://www.wku.edu/compliance/rcr.php)
Department Head / Unit Head / Director
1. I am responsible for reading and understanding all documents, including electronic documents, which I sign/approve.
2. My department/unit is responsible for cost overruns and disallowed charges on this grant, including expenditures charged to a University purchasing card.
3. My electronic approval of this proposal means that I am fully aware of the commitment of time/effort and resources and the validity of the proposal.
4. I have read the proposal, including budget and budget justification, to ensure I understand the commitment of time/effort and resources being made by the project director.
5. I understand cost share and the major implications it has on the departmental budget.
6. I am accountable for ensuring that the PI/PD and others on the grant are actually reassigned to the grant for any time/effort agreed to in the proposal (whether cost-shared by WKU or bought-out by the sponsor).
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,