Total Number of Hours: 33 credits (11 three-credit courses):
The Criminology MA program requires students to complete 30 credit hours of graduate work plus a 3 credit hour research tool (a 33 credit hour total curriculum). The program only provides a non-thesis option, and all courses are taught on-line using WKU's Blackboard Website.
Required Courses: The following 12 credit hours of courses are required:
- SOCL 514 Advanced Social Statistics
- SOCL 525 Survey of Criminal Justice Studies
- SOCL 532 Criminology
- SOCL 596 Applied Research Project
Elective Courses: Students must also complete 18 credit hours of elective courses. A minimum of 6 elective hours must be taken from this list of electives in the Department of Sociology at WKU:
- SOCL 530 Penology
- SOCL 531 Deviant Behavior
- SOCL 533 Criminology and Law
- SOCL 534 Neighborhoods and Crime
- SOCL 535 Family Violence
- SOCL 536 Juvenile Delinquency
- SOCL 537 Comparative Criminology
- SOCL 538 Victimology
- SOCL 546 Gender, Crime and Justice
- SOCL 547 Life-course Criminology
- SOCL 548 Race, Class and Crime
- SOCL 572 Environmental Criminology
Research Tool: The following course fulfills the 3 credit hour research tool requirement
- SOCL 513 Quantitative Research Methods
Courses Outside of Department:
Students may complete a maximum of twelve credit hours of graduate course work outside of the Department of Sociology. Students may select these courses from this list of approved electives offered by the Department of Correctional and Juvenile Justice Studies and the Department of Criminal Justice at Eastern Kentucky University.
- COR 823 Topical Seminar in Corrections/Juvenile Justice
- COR 830 Corrections and Society
- COR 835 Administration of Corrections and Juvenile Justice
- COR 840 Adult Corrections
- COR 850 Offender Rehabilitation Strategies
- COR 856 Law and Ethics in Corrections and Juvenile Justice
- CRJ 814 Policing and Society
- CRJ 874 Crime and Popular Culture
- CRJ 875 Crime and Public Policy
- CRJ 878 Ideology and Criminal Justice
With the approval of the graduate advisor in the Sociology Department, students may complete or transfer twelve graduate credit hours of electives from other departments at Western Kentucky University or from courses completed at other institutions.
Students must pass an oral examination after completing all course work in the specified curriculum.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,