Fred Gibson, Ph.D.
Professor/Director, Recreation and Sport Administration Graduate Program/Coordinator, Facility and Event Management (Concentration & Certificate)
Office: Smith Stadium East 1007
Phone: (270) 745-6021
REC 426 G – Facility Planning and Design
RSA 501 - Research Methods in Recreation and Sport
RSA 515 - Recreation & Sport Facility Development
RSA 534 - Facility Management
RSA 590 - Practicum
Facility Planning, Design, Construction, and Management in Recreation and Sport
Quinn, B., Smith, D., & Gibson, F. (2015). Planning for athletic events: A proactive approach. Interscholastic Athletic Administration. Winter, 42-45.
Stinnett, B. & Gibson, F. (2015). Sustainable facility development: Perceived benefits and challenges. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education. 17(3), 73-82.
Jordan, T., Upright, P., & Gibson, F. (2015). Design-build case study: Lessons learned from developing a neighborhood spray park. Journal of Facility Planning, Design, and Management. 3(2), 75-89.
Smith, D., Gibson, F., & Hey, W. (2015). Assessing leadership styles and organizational culture within parks and recreation departments. LARNet. 17(1), 1-12.
Stinnett, B., Zielen, S., & Gibson, F. (2015). Perceived benefits and challenges of sustainable facility initiatives. Kentucky Recreation and Park Society Conference. Lexington, KY.
Stinnett, B., Oregon, E., Gibson, F., and Fitzpatrick, A. (2015). Study away best practices: 2014 Texas sport facility symposium. 2015 Kentucky Study Abroad Symposium. Bowling Green, KY.
Stinnett, B., & Gibson, F. (2015). Upstart Program: The Game Changer. 2015 International Association of Venue Managers Venue Connect. Baltimore, MD.
Gibson, F., Stinnett, B., & Hey, W. (2015). Developing proactive approaches for sporting event planning and management. SHAPE America, meeting of the Southern District Research Council, February 18-21, Atlanta, GA.
Ph.D. University of Louisville
Dissertation: Shared facilities: Characteristics of recreational sports facilities at colleges and universities.
M.S. Middle Tennessee State University
B.S. Southern Illinois University
- Facility and event management experience in recreation and athletic programs at three major universities
- Contracted employee at numerous sporting events including national championships for track and field, swimming, wrestling, and weightlifting
- Conducted year around and championship sports drug testing for NCAA, NFL, NBA, and NCAA athletes
- Managed game day operations WKU Athletics, and Kentucky High School Athletic Association
- Instructor at the United States Olympic Committee’s (USOC) Sport Management Seminar in Colorado Springs, CO
- Led 40 students, faculty, and staff on a study abroad trip to China for two weeks as the guests of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games (BOCOG)
- Leading a group of 20 graduate students for a Study Away entitled “Texas Facilities Symposium” in Summer 2014
- Served as faculty member for sport facility symposiumstudy away course
- Certified Recreational Sports Specialist
- Certified Pool & Spa Operator
- Certified Collegiate and Professional Sports Drug Testing Crew Chief
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,