Undergraduate Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health
In order to prepare a qualified workforce to address the occupational health and safety needs of today’s industries, WKU now offers a 100% online Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health.
The effective management of workplace and environmental health and safety concerns has become an increasingly vital and expected component of responsible business procedures. Federal and State legislation governing workplace health and safety practices is becoming far more sophisticated and stringent, and has contributed to a growing employer need for health and safety professional expertise. Although the job markets for professionals, such as environmental science specialists, engineers, and compliance inspectors, are expected to grow as much as 27% over the next seven years*, the workforce to meet such a tremendous demand is not available.
The online Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health is ideal for individuals who are looking to enter the field and would like to further their education or advance their career. This certificate will prepare you for this growing area of employment in as little as nine months.
- Curriculum that offers both theory and practical application in respect to human health risks of occupational hazards and environmental causes of health impacts in the built and natural environments;
- Basic OSHA principles and challenges, and methods for occupational safety and health assessment;
- Monitoring, protection and communication;
- Faculty that bring both formal education and personal experience;
- Online delivery allows students to have maximum flexibility of scheduling classwork around the demands of work, home, and life.
- ENV 120 – Introduction to Occupational Safety & Health
- ENV 221 – Safety & Health Standards, Codes, & Regulations
- ENV 321 – Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene
- ENV 322 – Physical Hazards Recognition & Control I
- ENV 423 – Safety Program Management
(The order in which the classes are offered may vary.)
Minimum requirements for acceptance into the Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health program are:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Application and Fee: Students seeking a certificate program must submit an online application with Undergraduate Admissions. The completed form must be submitted along with a one-time application fee of $40.00 (non-refundable).
- Transcript Record: Graduates/Transfers of accredited institutions other than WKU must submit an official transcript from that institution.
For More Information, Contact
Ritchie D. Taylor, Ph.D.
Director, Environmental Health Science Program
WKU Department of Public Health
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,