Creating New Content
- New Folder
- New Page
- Video: Creating Files
- Upload Files
- Video: Uploading
- Zip Import
- Video: Zip Import
File and Folder Operations
- Compare Files
- Copy Files
- Delete Folders
- Drag and Drop
- Expire Files
- View Logs on Files
- Move Files and Folders
- Video: Moving Files and Folders
- Recycle Bin
- Video: Recycling
- Rename Files and Folders
- Video: Rename Files and Folders
- Revert Files
- Video: Revert Files
- File Versions
- Multi-Browser Viewing
Still Need Help?
The Compare feature includes the ability to compare different versions of a page. The compare feature is found in the Versions section of a page. Compare allows a user or reviewer (e.g., an approver) to easily identify changes that have been made to a given page by comparing the newly proposed page with either the page currently on the production server (the last published version of the page), to any prior published versions, or to any version explicitly saved by the Save Version function.
The document comparison of various versions provides mark-up of text, image, and asset changes with color coding and strikethrough notations.
The Compare feature is located on the Versions screen, which shows a list of versions of a page. Versions can be accessed in either of two ways:
- From the Pages list view, check out the page. Hover over Review in the page row and choose Versions.
- Enter the Preview or Edit mode of a checked out page. Click the Versions button in the Page Actions toolbar.
Either method directs the user to the Versions screen where a comparison can be made. The Versions screen includes the following features and functionality:
- Lists the number of versions of a page or file
- Compare Current to Live
- Compare Current to a publish target
- View the rendered page or source of a page of any version
- Compare the currently saved version to any previous version of a page with or without includes, or in source view
Example of Versions Screen
Comparing with a Production Version
When comparing with the current version on the production server, either page or source view is available. If comparing in page view, hide includes is also available.
- From the Versions screen click the Compare Current to Live button. The comparison is shown for the rendered page. If configured and available, a publish target may be selected by clicking the drop-down arrow on the button.
- If so desired, click Hide Includes to hide any include files that are part of the rendered page.
- Additionally, if it is required to view a comparison of the source code, click Source to view a comparison of the source code. If viewing the source, the includes are pulled in automatically.
Comparing with a Previous Version
When comparing with versions other than the live production version, a source code comparison is rendered. This option pulls in the includes files and shows revisions in the code. It is useful for pages rendered when the compare is not being rendered due to the format of the include files.
- From the Versions screen, hover over the menu bar for the page version and click Compare. The Version Compare is displayed.
- When comparing the staging version with previous versions, the different versions can be scrolled through or a version number can be entered with which to compare.
Examples and Legends
The following table lists the mark-up types and color-coding for comparing to the live production page in page view. For example, text that is shown in red strikethrough indicates text that was deleted. Green underlined text indicates that the text was added. Blue text with a squiggly underline indicates text that underwent a formatting change such as having applied bold or italics to the text.
|Type of Change||Color||Style|
|Formatting Change||Blue||Squiggly underline|
Example of Live Version Comparison
Source and Other Versions
When comparing to the live production server version in source view or when comparing to any other version the markup is slightly different as no blue markup is provided. Any addition of text or formatting change is show in green (not underlined).
|Type of Change||Color||Style|
|Addition or Formatting Change||Green||
Example of Source Comparison
Approvers can use this feature when reviewing a page prior to publishing it. The approver (depending on the page’s access settings) can then elect to publish the page, schedule it for publish, send it to another user for review, decline to publish it but keep the changes, which then sends it back to the requester, or decline to publish it and revert to the previous version. This also sends it back to the requester.
If the approver does not have publishing rights, only Send to User and Decline & Keep will be visible.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,