Still Need Help?
Snippets Gadget Overview
The Snippets Gadget is a sidebar gadget that gives users the functionality to add previously created snippets to an editable region from the Gadgets sidebar when using the WYSIWYG Editor and Source Editor. This gadget is useful in that it helps streamline the workflow process when adding snippets to a page, providing drag and drop functionality to the OU Campus system.
It is important to remember that the Snippets Gadget does not appear in the Gadgets sidebar until an editable region has been opened in the WYSIWYG Editor or when using the Source Editor. The functionality available with the Snippets Gadget includes:
- The ability to delimit the list of snippets by snippet category. All snippets are shown by default once the Snippets Gadget is expanded. Choose a category from the drop-down to view all the snippets assigned to that particular snippet category.
- Previewing a snippet by clicking on it.
- Inserting a snippet onto a page by double-clicking it.
- Dragging a snippet onto the editing area to insert it on a page.
Once a snippet is inserted on a page, it can be edited without modifying the original snippet.
When previewing the snippet, the following functionality is available:
- View Rendered: The default view previews the snippet as rendered based on how it will appear when inserted on the page.
- View Source Code: Shows the underlying markup or text, if not otherwise restricted by an administrator.
- Insert: Click the Insert button to insert the snippet on the page.
To close the preview, click the Delete icon or click on the Snippets Gadget.
Inserting a Snippet Using the Snippets Gadget
In order for the functionality of this gadget to be available, snippets must first be created within the site. If you have an idea for a snippet please email the idea to email@example.com.
To insert a snippet onto a page using the Snippets Gadget:
- Edit the page with the WYSIWYG Editor.
- If the Gadgets sidebar is not visible, click the Show Gadgets icon to show the sidebar.
- Expand the Snippets Gadget using the expand icon.
- If necessary, Select a snippet category from the categories drop-down. If the snippets are not categorized, then all snippets are displayed in the list. This example shows the snippets within the Navigation category.
- Choose a snippet from the available list then add it to the page using one of the following methods:
The snippet becomes part of the page and can be edited without affecting the original snippet.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,