M.S. in Instructional
Additional InformationApply Today!
Want to be contacted in the future
about a Master of Science degree program?
Fill out this short interest form!
Instructional design is the systematic analysis of learning and performance needs, and the development of effective strategies, processes, systems, and products to address those needs. The purpose of instructional design is to improve learning and performance for people of all ages in a variety of settings, including educational environments, work places, community settings, and homes. Professionals in the field of instructional design apply systematic instructional design methodologies and a variety of instructional strategies to accomplish established goals.
The online Master of Science in Instructional Design (Ref. #0428) prepares practitioners to assume leadership roles in public or private organizations. Program graduates are equipped to design and develop instructional elements such as instructional videos, online instructional activities, user manuals for instructors, instruction manuals for commercial products, professional development curricula for teachers, multimedia instructional units, training packs for trainers, instructional materials for vocational/technical courses, lesson and unit plans for classroom use, and educational curricula.
Program graduates will possess the following competencies:
- Ability to analyze a variety of instructional performance issues in business, government, education, and home settings
- Ability to design and develop instructional solutions, including appropriate combinations of traditional/instructor led strategies, constructivist techniques, technology systems, and performance support systems
- Ability to ethically and effectively manage instructional design projects, including project management/tracking and scheduling, budgeting, and client consultation skills
- Ability to design appropriate assessment plans for instructional solutions
- Ability to evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of instructional solutions
Students who graduate with a master’s degree in instructional design may expect employment as instructional designers and trainers in businesses, corporations, school and university settings, government agencies, and military services. Instructional design graduates may also be employed as managers of technology-based systems and designers of technology products in settings that include corporations, universities, community colleges, medical centers, libraries, and school districts.
Interested in obtaining a Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design? You can view that program here!