M.A.E. in Middle Grades
Additional InformationApply Today!
The Middle Grades Education program requires 30-37 hours, and is divided into two instructional components:
- Professional Education (9-16 hours) provides advanced level pedagogy, leadership, and content related to Kentucky Teacher Standards and applicable to all P-12 teachers working in a wide gamut of developmental levels and content areas, and is available completely online.
- Specialization (14-21 hours) directs the student into an individual program in content, pedagogy, and/or areas of professional growth consistent with the goals of each candidate. TCHL 520 and an advisor approved content specific course are required. The remaining hours will be selected from appropriate elective courses from the discipline in which the student is certified; academic disciplines related to P-12 common core standards; CEBS content courses in exceptional education, interdisciplinary early childhood education, library media education, literacy, or psychology; approved endorsements (e.g., English as a Second Language, Gifted and Talented Education, Environmental Education, Instructional Computer Technology); and courses identified as prerequisites for Instructional Leader programs.
- List of Middle Grade Education Specializations
- The Specialization component allows students considerable flexibility in choosing
their course work. The courses in this area will be selected by the candidate based
on individual needs, content areas and/or areas of professional growth. The following
specialization areas are available completely online:
- English as a Second Language Endorsement (Opens in New Window)
- Environmental Education Endorsement (Opens in New Windows)
- Exceptional Education
- Gifted and Talented Endorsement
- Social Studies (courses selected from History, Political Science, Geography, Sociology, Psychology)
- Library Media Education
- Physical Education
- Instructional Computer Technology Endorsement