Applicants for the MAE in Literacy Education must meet the following admission requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from a college or university of recognized standing (Applicants from non-accredited institutions see below).
- An adequate preparation in the field of specialization.
- GRE scores
- 3.5 minimum GRE Analytical Writing score
- Minimum GAP score of 2300 (see below for details)
- Application and Fee: Students seeking a graduate degree must obtain (online or through the Graduate Studies office) an Application for Admission (Form A) from the Office of Graduate Studies. The completed form along with a one time application fee of $40.00 (non-refundable) must be returned to the Graduate Studies Office.
- Transcript Record: Graduates of accredited institutions other than Western Kentucky University must submit an official transcript showing the completed degree to the Office of Graduate Studies. Applicants who have not completed the undergraduate degree are required to submit one official transcript at the time of application and one official transcript showing the degree is completed.
- Teacher Certification: All students applying to the MAE in Literacy must hold teacher certification or have a statement of eligibility.
Standardized Examination Scores
All degree-seeking students must submit appropriate standardized test scores regardless of their undergraduate grade point average .Standardized test scores must be received by the Office of Graduate Studies prior to admission. The admission decision will be based upon both the transcript grade point average and the test score. Registration materials for the GRE are available by logging on to http://www.gre.org.
Admission decisions are based upon both the undergraduate grade point average and the GRE General Test score. The GAP score is the product of the GRE score x the overall undergraduate grade point average. For example, a GRE score of 1200 and a grade average of 2.75/4.0 would produce a GAP score of 3300.Since GAP is a product of both GRE and grade point average, both the GRE and transcript record are essential for making an admission decision. GAP score requirements for general admission to Graduate Studies (individual degree programs may be higher) are as follows:
GAP Requirement Based on Test Date:
- 3500 on or before 9/30/2002
- 2300 on or after 10/1/2002