Admission to the Graduate Program at Western Kentucky University is required. The
application form is available online at
The Graduate School webpage. For purposes of accurately completing the online form, please note that the Master of Arts program is referenced as 049 Mathematics.
In addition to the application for admission to the Graduate Program, the following prerequisites must be met:
1. Satisfy One of the Following Conditions:
- have a GAP score of at least 600,
- have a GRE general score of at least 300, or
- if students have graduated from WKU with a degree in mathematics, a GPA of at least 3.3 in their undergraduate major.
2. A Bachelor's Degree in mathematics OR the completion of the following undergraduate courses with at most one deficiency:
(a) a calculus sequence through multivariable calculus,
(b) linear algebra,
(c) discrete mathematics,
(d) probability or calculus-based statistics,
(e) abstract algebra, and
Applicants must also have or be eligible for a teaching certificate* for Secondary Mathematics (Grades 8-12). A copy of the certificate or statement of eligibility must be submitted with the application.
*Kentucky teachers whose certificates have expired may be admitted into the program, but they may enroll in no more than six hours before they must apply to the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board for re-issued certificates. After completion of six hours, a student admitted with an expired certificate must submit a copy of the re-issued certificate before being allowed to register for any additional courses. Applicants from out-of-state with expired certificates must complete the requirements for their respective states to renew their certificates and submit a copy of the reissued certificate.