All applicants for admission to the M.A. program in history must sit for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and submit scores to the university as part of their application.
There are no exceptions to this requirement even for candidates with graduate degrees. The advanced test in History is not required.
Students must meet the minimum standards for admission set forth by the Graduate School.
In addition, applicants must meet the following admission standards set forth by the History Department:
- Completion of at least 18 undergraduate credit-hours in history with a grade point average of at least 3.0 in history courses (on a 4.0 scale)
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- A GRE Verbal Reasoning section score of at least 500 (if taken before Aug. 2011) or 153 (if taken Aug. 2011 or later)
- A GRE Quantitative Reasoning section score that meets the University's minimum for admission
- Applicants must submit application and all supporting materials by April 15 (fall semester start) or October 15 (spring semester start) Applicants must also submit:
- A brief (approximately 750 words) personal statement that discusses why they wish to pursue the Master of Arts degree in History
- A sample research paper (at least five pages long) The History Department will admit students twice a year on a competitive, academic merit-based basis.
The History Department may limit the number of students admitted to maintain the quality and size of the program’s student body.
Our next admission dates for the MA program are April 15 for Fall 2015 and October 15 for Spring 2015 admission.
We do not admit students in the winter or summer terms. The department makes all the admissions decisions on completed applications immediately after the above application deadlines for fall and spring semester.
For those applicants wishing to be considered for on campus Graduate Assistantships, we have an early admission deadline is March 1.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,