In lieu of the major/minor required by traditional degree programs, the student must complete a broad area of emphasis (complementary courses from different academic disciplines) of at least 37 semester hours of course work approved by the interdisciplinary studies advisor. For additional information or to contact your advisor visit www.wku.edu/idst/bis/academicadvisors.php.
Students pursuing the BIS online can read about areas of emphasis by visiting www.wku.edu/idst/bis/.
- 120 college-level undergraduate semester hours
- Grade point average of at least 2.0 (in all credits presented for graduation, in all credits completed at Western and in the Area of Emphasis)
- 44 semester hours of General Education courses
- 37 hours in the Area of Emphasis (1 hour UCC 499)
- 42 semester hours of upper division credit including 12 hours in the Area of Emphasis
- 32 hours earned in residence, at least 16 of which must be completed after the semester in which the student earned a cumulative total of at least 90 semester hours
- No more than 24 semester hours in a single academic discipline, no more than 24 semester hours from the School of Journalism and Broadcasting, no more than 30 semester hours in courses administered by the Gordon Ford College of Business, nor more than 12 upper-level semester hours from the Gordon Ford College of Business.
Please Note: Developmental courses do NOT count toward the total number of hours earned.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,