In lieu of the major/minor required by traditional degree programs, you must complete a broad area of emphasis (complementary courses from different academic disciplines) of at least 36 semester hours of course work approved by the interdisciplinary studies advisor. For additional information or to contact your advisor visit the Academic Advisor page and choose the advisor listed according to your last name.
Required Core Courses (6 hours)
Please Note: Prerequisites are noted in parenthesis
- IDST 395: Interdisciplinary Studies Capstone Investigative Methods in Interdisciplinary Studies
- IDST 495: Interdisciplinary Studies Capstone (prerequisite: IDST 395)
Emphasis Courses (36 hours)
Students must complete 36 hours in their area of emphasis, of which 12 hours must be of upper-level (300-400 level) courses.There are 12 Areas of Emphasis available; 4 of which have 100% online pathways for completion. Other areas offer a significant number of online courses, allowing students with previous hours earned, even more online options! Fully online areas of emphasis include: Social & Behavioral Sciences, Organization & Communication of Ideas,Business, and Health.
- Upper Division Courses (300-400 level)
- At least 12 hours
- Lower Division Courses (100-200 level)
- At most 24 hours
- At most 24 hours
Electives (34 Hours)
Students must complete a total of 34 hours of advisor approved electives. Hours may be earned through completing a Minor Program of Study, an Undergraduate Certificate, additional electives or through a combination of these options.
Colonnade (39 Hours) or General Education Certification
In addition to the program specific courses previously listed, students without an A.A. or A.S from a regionally accredited school must complete 39 additional hours as part of the Colonnade Program (formerly General Education). However, students who transfer to WKU with an earned associate degree from a regionally accredited school are considered General Education Certified and are not required to complete Colonnade requirements.
Please note the following as you plan your program of study:
- A bachelor’s degree requires a minimum of 120 credit hours and developmental courses DO NOT count toward the total number of hours earned. Remaining hours may be earned through completing a Minor Program of Study, an Undergraduate Certificate, additional electives or through a combination of these options.
- Students must complete a total of 42 hours of upper-division (300-400 level) courses.
- 25% of degree and 1/3 hours in emphasis earned in residence
- At least 16 of which must be completed after the semester student earns a cumulative total of at least 90 semester hours.
- Students seeking a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies may earn no more
- 24 semester hours in a single academic discipline.
- 24 semester hours from the School of Journalism and Broadcasting.
- 30 semester hours in courses administered by the Gordon Ford College of Business.
- 12 upper-level semester hours from the Gordon Ford College of Business
- No second major can accompany the BIS degree.
- BIS cannot be pursued as a second bachelor's degree.
- A Grade point average of at least 2.0 (in all credits presented for graduation, completed at WKU and in the Area of Emphasis).
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,