Need funding for your International Event/Program?
Check out our
Global Encounters Support Grant!
International Education Week: November 17-21, 2014
International Education Week is a joint initiative between the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education. It is an opportunity to recognize and celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. Founded in 2000, International Education Week is celebrated in over 100 countries. Visit the U.S. Department of State official website for more information about IEW around the globe.
The objective of International Education Week at WKU is to provide opportunities for students, faculty, staff, and community members to engage in intercultural dialogue and experience firsthand diverse cultures and perspectives.
We hope to see a robust calendar of events for IEW 2014 that spans the globe and features an array of subjects and interests. Some events to look forward to are:
- Globetrotting- Explore the globe without leaving WKU's campus. Various residence halls across campus will take on the characteristics of a country, encompassing the culture, atmosphere, cuisine, and traditions. Sample food, drinks, games, and activities from various countries simply by touring the WKU Residence Halls.
- Distinguished Alumni Panel - hear stories from WKU graduates who are contributing to the university's "international reach"
- A Taste of Culture - International students will share dishes from their home countries and instruct participants in the preparation of them
More events to come!
Previous International Education Week events have included:
- musical/dance performances
- film screenings
- international cuisine tastings
- art exhibits
- discussion panels
- interactive activities
IEW is open to everyone: students, faculty, departments, staff, non-academic units, community members and organizations, etc.
Interested in planning an event for IEW 2014?
OIP has dedicated substantial funding (1:1 matching required) to support programs and events that adhere to the IEW objective. IEW contributors (individuals or groups) may apply for the IEW grant here. For more information, contact the Coordinator of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IEW 2014 Planning Committee
Mindy Johnson (Student Activities)
Dr. Kay Gandy (CEBS)
Dr. Sara Northerner (IEAC, IDST)
Jill Brown (LAS)
Rebekah Golla (KIIS)
Diana Howard (ISO)
Katherine Hale (SAGL)
Judith Szerdahelyi (PCAL)
Ginny Durakovich (HRL)
Ethan Sykes (HRL)
Kumi Ishii (PCAL)
Natalie Buller (Student Representative)