The Modern Languages program at WKU offers a number of partial scholarships to enable deserving current majors and minors to study abroad for a summer or longer. These scholarships, which typically range from $100-$1,000, are awarded to current students on a competitive basis.
William Ralph Walls Jr. International Travel Award
The William Ralph Walls Jr. International Travel Awards are given each fall and spring to support Western students who are planning to pursue a travel or travel/study program or project approved by the department. The award may be used in conjunction with any of Western's current study abroad options or other approved programs. William Ralph Walls Jr., for whom the Travel Award is named, was a respected and admired Associate Professor of French at Western. He was a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received his doctorate in Romance Linguistics at Cornell University. In honor of his memory, his parents and his friends began the Travel Award to help students benefit from the unique educational experience that only foreign travel can provide.
1) Intention to return to WKU as a full-time student after travel abroad
2) 3.0 GPA overall
3) 3.5 GPA in foreign language study
4) 30 semester hours completed at WKU before the travel
5) 12 hours or equivalent in one language before the study abroad takes place - 6 of which must be at WKU
- The student fills out a scholarship application. The application is located in the Modern Languages Department in FAC 251.
- The student writes a one page, double-spaced, typewritten description of the proposed program or project.
- A cover sheet must accompany the application and the typewritten paper.
- The completed application and typewritten paper must be submitted to the Department of Modern Languages by October 17th in the fall and February 20th in the spring.
Finley C. Grise Award
The Finley C. Grise Award may be used toward the costs of study in any modern language program offered or endorsed by Western Kentucky University for academic credit, both on campus and off campus. Finley C. Grise, for whom Grise Hall is named, was a Professor of Latin, Head of the Department of Foreign Languages and for many years Dean of the College. This award honors the excellence that Dr. Grise brought to all his work for the students and faculty of Western.
1) Majoring in a foreign language
2) 3.0 GPA overall
3) 3.5 GPA in a declared foreign language major
4) Must have completed one year at Western including the semester in which the student is nominated.
5) Must have completed at least one course at the 300 level or above in a prior semester.
6) Preference will be given to advanced students with more than one course at the 300 level or above.
None. The Modern Language faculty nominates students.
The Henry J and Johnnie Brooks Huey Award
The Henry J and Johnnie Brooks Huey Award is given annually to a Western student who intends to study abroad in the following 12-month period. Students interested in applying should submit the standard WKU scholarship application form with a letter of introduction that includes information concerning their religious activities and outlining why this award would be valuable to them. The scholarship is traditionally awarded in the spring and the deadline is March 13th. Please submit your application at the Department of Modern Languages before that date.
1) Active involvement in a religious body
2) High moral character
3) Use of the award for foreign study and travel
4) Scholastic ability deserving of such recognition
5) Preference will be given to candidates who are or intend to be teachers. The granting of the award is not based on financial need.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,