Kathryn Steward guest speaker at WKU Relay for Life event
|Author: Terri Cunningham|
Date: Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011
|Return to Archive|
Lindsay Kriz College Heights Herald
Relay for Life heightens awareness of cancer
Cancer survivors pose for pictures during Relay for Life in Houchens-Smith Stadium this weekend. Many were multiple-generation cancer survivors or had family members who were affected by different types of cancer. Those affected by cancer "never get rest," according to speaker Kathryn Steward, assistant director of health education at WKU.
Bowling Green High School senior Natalie Gugler was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 5 years old.
"I was expected to survive because we caught it right away," she said.
Gugler said she went through chemotherapy treatments, including spinal taps, bone marrow aspirations and IVs before the cancer fully receded.
To celebrate her recovery, Gugler attended WKU's annual Relay for Life Finale Event.
Activities throughout the night included inflatable games, a corn hole tournament and a scavenger hunt.
At 11 p.m., participants lit luminarias and walked a lap in honor of loved ones who lost the battle with cancer. At 5 a.m., participants made a personal commitment to fighting cancer.
Harvey said one of the best events is the Sober Bar Crawl, in which a man dresses as a woman and asks people at bars for money for the organization.
"Cancer patients don't get a night off, so we can stay up one night for them," she said.
"It's my job to count it all up and determine who won," he said.
"We have a $40,000 goal this year," he said.
Evansville, Ind., senior Chad Beswick, president of the WKU Kentucky Public Health Association, said the goal is to heighten awareness and education about cancer."Ultimately, we want to get the Susan G. Komen walk here in Bowling Green in 18 months," he said. "The closest one is in Louisville, but there's nothing out west. We hope we can bring it here."
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author