Why Some People Are Apple-Shaped and Others Are Pear-Shaped
Date: Friday, March 18th, 2011
|Return to Archive|
Levels of the protein -- known as 11BetaHSD1 -- tend to be higher in the presence of an unhealthy type of body fat which tends to be stored around the torso -- typical of "apple-shapes."
Healthier fat, linked to lower levels of the protein, tends to be stored around the hips and is used more safely by the body as a source of energy -- typical of people who are "pear-shaped."
The study found that mice with the protein in their bodies were more likely to have unhealthy fat tissue after four weeks on a high fat diet, compared with mice without the protein.
Scientists are already looking at ways to make medicines that inhibit this protein, which is known to raise levels of hormones linked to obesity.
The research, published in the journal Diabetes was funded by the Wellcome Trust and British Heart Foundation.
Dr Nik Morton, of the University of Edinburgh's Centre for Cardiovascular Science, said: "This study opens up new avenues for research, and gives us a much better idea of why some fat in the body becomes unhealthy while other fat is safely stored for energy. Inflammation in of the unhealthy fat leads to reactions that can cause harm locally to tissues and affect the whole organism, promoting diabetes. Limiting the presence of this protein could help combat this."
As well as being more likely to be stored around vital organs in the torso, fat with higher levels of 11BetaHSD1 is considered to be unhealthy as it is associated with an over-reaction in the immune system.
Cells normally become inflamed in order to kill off an infection, but as there is no infection in the fat tissue the inflammation instead causes damage to healthy cells.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 20th - May 26th
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.