WKU GIS student awarded Connected Nation scholarship
|Date: Thursday, May 15th, 2014||Return|
The scholarship is specific to WKU’s GIS program and marks the inaugural year of the scholarship by Connected Nation for WKU’s GIS program students. Applicants had to answer questions describing their area of interest in GIS and discuss how GIS can expedite the decision-making process in a variety of fields specific to spatial problems and geographic challenges.
“I was very excited to hear about Connected Nation providing a yearly scholarship opportunity for our GIS students at WKU,” said Kevin Cary, GIS Director at WKU. “This complements our GIS program in WKU’s Department of Geography and Geology and we look forward to future GIS endeavors with Connected Nation.”
Connected Nation began in Bowling Green in 2001 as The Center for Information Technology Enterprise at WKU and quickly became ConnectKentucky in 2004. ConnectKentucky primarily focused on mapping broadband accessibility in Kentucky in an effort to identify areas that lacked Internet access as part of the “No Child Left Behind” initiative. Due to its success, neighboring states in 2007 were quick to follow and ConnectKentucky transitioned into Connected Nation as the parent organization.
Six graduates from WKU’s GIS program are working as part of the GIS team at Connected Nation. In 2009, WKU’s GIS program was awarded the Exemplary Systems Award by the Kentucky Association of Mapping Professionals.
“As part of our corporate mission, we are always looking to give back to our community,” said Connected Nation President and COO Tom Ferree. “We use GIS every day in our efforts to bridge the digital divide and enhance lives, so it’s appropriate that we do what we can to support future GIS professionals.”
Dr. David Keeling, head of the Department of Geography and Geology, noted: “GIS is transforming our ability to map and understand human activity and interaction from the most basic patterns to the most complex locally and globally. Connected Nation’s support of our students’ endeavors is vital to our goal of preparing citizens for the 21st century workforce, where geo-technologies are playing an ever-growing role.”
For information about applying for next year’s Connected Nation GIS scholarship, or about GIS, WKU’s GIS programs and GIS applications in business and industry, contact Kevin Cary in WKU’s Center for GIS at (270) 745-2981 or email@example.com.
Contact: Kevin Cary, (270) 745-2981.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
November 26th -November 30th
November 26th - November 30th
Forty parents, educators, counselors, and administrators came to Bowling Green November 5 to hear a leading authority on twice-exceptional education at the 2014 Twice-Exceptional (2e) Learners Seminar.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,