ENVIRONMENTAL JOURNALIST TO VISIT SJ&B WEDNESDAY, APRIL 2
|Author: Vicki Bagwell|
Date: Monday, March 31st, 2014
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. --Award-winning documentary filmmaker and educator Sanjeev Chatterjee will introduce his film about potable water entitled “One Water,” (www.onewater.org) at 7 p.m. CDT Wednesday, April 2, at Gary A. Ransdell Hall auditorium at Western Kentucky University.
The Fleischaker/Greene Fund for Excellence in First Amendment Issues in the WKU School of Journalism & Broadcasting (SJ&B) is sponsoring the viewing of “One Water” and Chatterjee’s visit to campus. Both are scheduled as part of SJ&B’s semester-long focus on environmental journalism.
A professor at the University of Miami, Chatterjee will be available for discussion immediately following the film and will be leading discussions in classes on Thursday, April 3, including the Fleischaker/Greene "Environment and Journalism" course, currently taught this spring semester.
"As a former colleague I can't say enough about my regard for Sanjeev and his work,” said Loup Langton, director of the WKU School of Journalism & Broadcasting. “Sanjeev has continually used his talents in filmmaking to address international issues critical to today and to the future. His work always demonstrates an understanding of the issues, an intelligent and creative presentation of those issues through film and a profound respect for his subjects."
Chatterjee’s film has earned distinctions in a variety of industry-related arenas. An earlier short version of “One Water” won two awards at the Broadcast Education Association, was screened at special United Nations conferences in 2004 and 2005, and received a special jury award at the World Water Forum in Mexico City in 2006. The film is also the recipient of the Best Environmental Feature award from the Artivist Film Festival, Best Documentary Cinambiente in Turin, Italy, and Best Documentary at the Foyle Film Festival in Derry, Ireland, all in 2008. A feature version of "One Water" premiered on the closing night of the Miami International Film Festival, also in 2008.
The film has been screened at diverse venues including Expo Zaragoza 2008 and International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements, and an international television version of the film was completed in 2009 narrated by actor Martin Sheen.
Personally, Chatterjee was honored with the Images and Voices of Hope World Summit Award of Appreciation for his documentary work in 2007.
Chatterjee’s focus on coverage of the environment has included a variety of topics. He was commissioned by the National Geographic Channel to produce television reports about environment and culture in India. As part of National Geographic's prime time magazine show "National Geographic Today," the report topics ranged from deforestation and habitat fragmentation to the survival of folk and classical dance in India. The Salt Lake City Corporation commissioned Chatterjee to create a video installation for an exhibition "The Physical Fitness of Cities" that was mounted as part of the 2002 Winter Olympic festivities and highlighted aspects of good design in city building.
Chatterjee’s other works include a television pilot entitled "Through Her Eyes," a proposed series of documentaries about women photojournalists of note. "Through Her Eyes" won the Best of Festival, King Award at the Broadcast Education Association's Media Arts Festival in 2006. A film sequel, “Beyond Assignment,” was completed in 2011 with Chatterjee serving as co-executive producer.
The academic community has also recognized Chatterjee’s accomplishments as an educator. He has been selected for the faculty of the Salzburg Academy on Media and Global Change in 2008 and 2009. In 2010, Chatterjee was a featured speaker at TEDxMiami, and he received a Fulbright scholarship to work with students in India in 2011. He served as the Executive Director of the Knight Center for International Media at the School of Communication at the University of Miami prior to his Fulbright responsibilities in India.
The event is free and open to the community. For WKU students, the Wednesday evening presentation will be a swipeable event.
For more information on Chatterjee’s visit to WKU, contact the School of Journalism & Broadcasting at (270) 745-4144.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Nine WKU Broadcasting Majors Earn Five First Place Awards, 14 Total Awards in 11 Categories
2016-17 Academic Year
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,