Geology faculty member receives $3.7 million software grant
|Date: Tuesday, March 18th, 2014||Return|
WKU’s Department of Geography and Geology has been awarded a MOVE software grant for $3.7 million from Midland Valley Exploration Ltd., Glasgow, U.K., to support Assistant Professor of Geology Dr. Nahid Gani’s tectonics and structural geology research and teaching.
Midland Valley Exploration Ltd., the world’s leading structural geology experts, lives by its founding principle is: “by geologists for geologists.” WKU is now an active member of Midland Valley’s ASI group. This software donation includes “MOVE suites of analytical geological software” with support and maintenance, which is the most complete and comprehensive geological industry standard structural modeling software.
The newly acquired software is housed in the LeGo Lab (Landscape Geodynamics Lab) in the Department of Geography and Geology, which is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities including dual monitor high-end PCs, thermo-chronologic and satellite image-processing software, a high-resolution mineral picking scope, and much more.
Graduate and undergraduate students and faculty members are gearing up to use this MOVE software to integrate quantitative 3D modeling from remote sensing data, digital elevation models, seismic data and GPS-based field mapping to develop advanced structural and tectonic models to better understand geological evolution, particularly tectonic, stratigraphic and structural evolution in the context of geological explorations.
This noteworthy grant provides geoscience faculty and students an exposure to top-of-the-line methods and tools available in geoscience data modeling, validation and uncertainty quantification.
“Cutting-edge software applications are crucial in the geosciences for training students to be competitive for professional opportunities,” said Geography and Geology Department Head David Keeling. “With technology changing at such a rapid pace, it is critical that faculty and students have access to the most up-to-date software to conduct research that can help to address society’s most pressing challenges.”
Contact: Nahid Gani, (270) 745-2813.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,