Institute for Rural Health Receives Grant for Collaborative Project
|Date: Monday, November 4th, 2013||Return|
*Original story from http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/irh-uofl-grant/
Through the collaboration with U of L, the IRH receives $53,000 annually for each of the project’s five years. Dr. Daniel Carter, IRH Dental Director, is entering into his fifth year as the principal investigator for this project dealing with bio-banking genetic material for research purposes.
The goals of the project are: 1) to institute a pilot project to determine the degree to which rural communities in south central Kentucky would be receptive to the idea of participating in a DNA bio-banking effort, and 2) to establish a process for collecting, de-identifying, shipping and storing DNA samples for analysis, Dr. Carter said.
REDCap, a web-based data management system, has been a key resource in effectively meeting these objectives, and it is because of this project that REDCap is now available to faculty and staff in WKU’s College of Health and Human Services. To address the question of whether the rural community will be receptive to the idea of participating in a DNA bio-banking effort, willing patients seen on the mobile units respond to a questionnaire directly into REDCap via an iPad.
DNA samples are collected from patients seen on the mobile units by buccal (cheek) swabs, and that patient’s health information is entered into a file in REDCap. The patient’s file is associated with a randomly generated ID number that is written on the DNA sample. The sample is then shipped to a researcher at U of L. Once received, the researcher logs the DNA sample into REDCap and uses the ID number on the sample to find the patient’s health information.
The database allows the user at WKU to limit what parts of the patient’s file the user at U of L is able to see, therefore all HIPAA protected identifiers are not available to the user at U of L, Dr. Carter said. The intention being that once this protocol has been proven successful, other institutions could utilize it to create their own database linking genetic material to physical health traits.
Contact: Daniel Carter, (270) 745-2633.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Lady Toppers play Thurs 11/20. Hilltoppers play Sat 11/22
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Forty parents, educators, counselors, and administrators came to Bowling Green November 5 to hear a leading authority on twice-exceptional education at the 2014 Twice-Exceptional (2e) Learners Seminar.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,