WKU Rocket Team prepares for NASA student launch competition
|Date: Friday, April 12th, 2013||Return to Archive|
The six members of Vette City Rocketry have spent the past few weeks completing construction of their rocket and testing it for the April 20 competition at Bragg Farms in Toney, Ala.
“We will have launched it several times before then, but it’s the one that counts,” said team leader Daniel Jones, a physics major from Bowling Green.
NASA’s annual event challenges teams to design, test and build large, high-powered rockets, capable of flying to the target altitude of one mile and carrying working, retrievable science or engineering payloads. WKU is one of 36 college and university teams competing in the University Student Launch Initiative.
“We’re happy to be able to go and launch down there,” said Owen Gaulle, a physics major from Nashville, Tenn. “We’d like to do well, but to get to this point is an honor.”
The project requires teams to submit a series of reports and reviews, develop a website, engage in education outreach in their local community, and provide a timeline, a budget and other requirements. The reports and reviews are similar to NASA’s technical review process. As in that process, teams must complete a Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review, Flight Readiness Review and Post-Launch Assessment Review. In addition, teams must successfully complete an initial and a final Launch Readiness Review that includes a safety checkout prior to launch in Alabama.
“It’s very rewarding, but it’s a lot of paperwork,” Jones said.
The WKU rocket will carry electronic sensors to measure air pressure, humidity and temperature as well as an altimeter to measure the distance traveled and a parachute to allow the rocket to float to the ground. The nose cone also will carry cameras to record the journey.
The team includes students from physics, engineering and computer science who have brought their own expertise to the project. “It’s been a really unique experience to work with students from other majors,” Jones said.
Other team members are Tim Bucklew, a mechanical engineering major from Bowling Green; Mariel Shumate, a mechanical engineering major from Louisville; Jason Leszczewicz, a physics major from Bowling Green; and James Covetts, a computer science major from Owensboro. More information about the WKU team is available at http://usliwku.com/
About the competition: The University Student Launch Initiative will begin at 9 a.m. (CT) April 20 at Bragg Farms, 1180 Grimwood Road, Toney, Ala. (Rain date is April 21.)
NASA will provide live coverage of the event on UStream, complete with embedded Twitter feed, at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc
The event also includes a Rocket Fair on April 19 at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. More SLP Launch Week information is available at http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/737238main_SLP_Brochure_2013.pdf
Follow updates on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/NASAStudentLaunch and on Twitter @ATK, @SLI_1MILEHIGH, @NASA_Marshall.
Contact: Daniel Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
A summary of WKU National Dance Education Organization Student Chapter Fundraising events for fall 2014.
Details about the Alpha Psi Omega Freshman Cabaret at WKU.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author