Stone named director of Veterans Upward Bound program
|Date: Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013||Return to Archive|
Davy Stone of Bowling Green has been appointed as the new director for the Veterans Upward Bound program at WKU.
Prior to becoming director, Stone worked as a VUB instructor for 18 years. In his new position, Stone will oversee an annual operating budget of $280,000 and supervise four full-time staff members. He is the fourth person to serve as VUB’s director since the program came to WKU 21 years ago.
“Since he has already worked for VUB for almost 20 years, Davy is very well qualified for the job,” said VUB Coordinator/Counselor Rick Wright. “Davy is very knowledgeable about all aspects of VUB’s operations and his long-term experience will serve him well in this position.”
In December 2012, Veterans Upward Bound celebrated 20 years of providing free educational services to veterans in southcentral Kentucky. Since 1992, WKU’s Veterans Upward Bound program has served more than 2,400 student veterans. The program helped 139 veterans during the 2011-12 project year.
While some states have several VUB programs, including Arkansas, Louisiana and Tennessee with three each, WKU hosts the only Veterans Upward Bound program in Kentucky. In September 2012, WKU’s Veterans Upward Bound was approved for five more years of funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
VUB’s primary mission is to help veterans get admitted to college so they can get the education they need to have a good quality of life. Each student receives a full array of support services that include career counseling, academic advising, financial aid assistance, stipends and scholarships.
The program serves veterans who are low-income or first-generation college students and provides college prep classes in subjects like English, math and computer literacy.
Veterans Upward Bound alumni are enrolled at WKU, Bowling Green Technical College, Daymar College, University of Phoenix, Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin, Tenn., Ashford University in Clinton, Iowa, and many other schools.
Contact: Rick Wright, (270) 745-5008.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Last week WKU faculty, students and alumni attended the Kentucky Chapter of the American Planning Association conference at the Sloan Convention Center in Bowling Green.
Need to reach us over the summer? Don't forget that our hours change! Click to find full dates and times of opening.
Eura Shin, a second-year student at The Gatton Academy, has received a funded summer internship in Germany through a competitive, international scholarship.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,