Forensic team begins spring semester with win at AFA district tournament
|Date: Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013||Return to Archive|
Twenty-three members of WKU’s forensic team kicked off competition for the spring semester by traveling to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to compete in two tournaments hosted on the campus of the University of Alabama.
WKU earned first place in team sweepstakes at both tournaments, qualifying 24 new events for the national tournament in April. WKU topped a number of large schools to win top honors at the tournaments this weekend, including University of Alabama, University of Florida, Louisiana State University, Tennessee State University, Belmont University and Florida State University.
The first tournament of the weekend was the American Forensic Association District Six National Qualifying Tournament. WKU Director of Forensics Jace Lux is happy with the way the semester started. “There are only nine districts in the nation, and each has an annual district tournament,” he said. “To win ours is a huge accomplishment, a great way to start the semester, and hopefully, a predictor of success at the national tournament in April.”
Lux is also pleased with the team’s academic accomplishments during the fall semester. “Out of 38 total students, 17 earned a 3.7 or better GPA. Nine of those students had a perfect 4.0 in the fall,” he said. “When you think about how much these students travel away from campus for competitions, and how much extra work for forensics they have on top of their schoolwork, it’s pretty amazing what they accomplished in the classroom last fall.”
This semester, team members will travel to Alabama, California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma and West Virginia before wrapping up the semester at the national tournament hosted by Hutchinson Community College in April. The team will split two ways this coming weekend, sending groups of students to Chicago and St. Louis for competition.
Contact: Jace Lux, (270) 745-6340.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.