Innovative journalists, innovative tech, innovative funding
|Date: Tuesday, November 27th, 2012||Return to Archive|
A team of entrepreneurial journalists from WKU launched a $19,500 Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign this week to help underwrite a unique editorial exploration of the Chinese government-funded Confucius Institute.
Titled “Inside Confucius,” the project has 30 days to generate audience interest and reach its funding goal through Kickstarter.com.
Meanwhile, the 11 journalists of Western iMedia are already busy producing their multifaceted print-digital narrative through a series of sophisticated poster infographics and augmented reality video.
Western iMedia is an entrepreneurial editorial startup operated out of WKU’s School of Journalism & Broadcasting. It is an exclusive and non-traditional capstone experience involving an elite team of the school’s media professionals-in-training.
The team is producing a multifaceted and detailed look inside the Confucius Institute through a series of more than a dozen visually enticing, intuitively explanatory infographic banners/posters digitally overlaid with mobile-accessed video articles providing increased depth of explanation and emotional context. The augmented-reality overlay technology is accessed through a camera-linked smartphone or tablet that will also allow interactive features promoting dynamic audience engagement.
The Kickstarter campaign was launched to help fund the project and to generate an appropriate audience. The project requires significant travel to examine Confucius Institute activities throughout the United States and in several other countries through the end of 2012 and in early 2013. Donations are being sought to help fund equipment, travel and production.
Details and opportunities to back the project are available through www.kickstarter.com/projects/westernimedia/inside-confucius.
“We’ve got an important story to tell and an innovative way to tell it,” said iMedia Fusion Journalist Gavin Ezell. “Our goal is to be more effective, to engage people on a level that traditional media can’t or don’t.”
Members of the Western iMedia staff are: Jake Boswell of Owensboro, Ky.; Gavin Ezell of Bowling Green, Ky.; Whitney Harper of Russellville, Ky.; McKenzi Loid of Bowling Green, Ky.; Lauren Lorance of Jeffersonville, Ind.; T.J. Parker of Glen Ellyn, Ill.; Jacqui Powell of Elizabethtown, Ky.; Ethan Pugh of Brentwood, Tenn.; Ryan Vennell of Chatham, Ill.; and Scott Vennell of Chatham, Ill.
Contact: Mckenzi Loid, (270) 791-9522.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Parking and Shuttle Details
Harsh Moolani, a second-year student from Owensboro, and Alexandra Wright, a second-year student from Union, were both honored by the Siemens Competition as National Semifinalists.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,