Geoscientist presents keynote lecture at European cave research conference
|Date: Thursday, September 20th, 2012||Return to Archive|
WKU Distinguished Professor of Hydrogeology Chris Groves returned this week from Slovenia in Eastern Europe where he presented an invited keynote lecture “Karst Hydrology Research in Show Caves of the Mammoth Cave International Biosphere Reserve, Kentucky, USA” at the International Congress on Scientific Research in Show Caves.
The conference gathered together scientists from around the world to discuss a wide variety of scientific research efforts in environmental sciences including hydrology, geophysics and archeology that utilize caves that have been developed for tourists. These efforts provide relatively easy access and other infrastructure advantages to study what otherwise can be a difficult and harsh environment in which to collect data.
Groves was one of four invited speakers at the conference, and the only one from the United States.
The region of the conference’s location, at the northern end of the former Yugoslavia, gives its German name Karst to the types of surface and underground landscapes like that of south central Kentucky where caves, sinkholes and underground rivers are common. The conference was held literally on top of the Škocjan Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where the River Reka flows through awesomely deep canyons eventually to emerge at Italy’s Timavo Springs on the Adriatic Sea. According to myth, Jason and the Argonauts visited the springs on their quest for the Golden Fleece.
Groves’ invitation to the conference follows decades of cooperative cave-related research and educational efforts between WKU and Mammoth Cave National Park, where scientists and students have studied various aspects of hydrology, geology and other environmental issues related to the area’s cave systems. His presentation highlights this work.
In 2009 WKU, along with Mammoth Cave National Park, signed a five-way cooperative agreement with Slovenian partners at Škocjan Caves, Postojna Cave and the Karst Research Institute of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
Geography and Geology Department Head David Keeling noted that “the Hoffman Institute enjoys a global reputation for excellence in cave and karst research, and Dr. Groves’ participation in this important conference is yet another indicator of the department’s, and thus WKU’s, international reach.”
Contact: Chris Groves, (270) 745-5974.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Last week WKU faculty, students and alumni attended the Kentucky Chapter of the American Planning Association conference at the Sloan Convention Center in Bowling Green.
Need to reach us over the summer? Don't forget that our hours change! Click to find full dates and times of opening.
Eura Shin, a second-year student at The Gatton Academy, has received a funded summer internship in Germany through a competitive, international scholarship.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,