Bowling Green Conference to Address STEM Opportunities for Kentucky Girls
|Date: Tuesday, September 11th, 2012||Return to Archive|
The Kentucky Girls STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) Collaborative, in partnership with The Center for Gifted Studies at Western Kentucky University, will hold its fourth annual conference, “Collaboration: The Key to Successful Programming for Girls in STEM,” Friday, October 12, 2012, at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky.
Educators, counselors, business and community leaders, parents and girls are invited to meet others with a strong desire to see girls discover opportunities available to them within the STEM fields. Conference attendees will explore up-and-coming career opportunities in STEM fields and learn proactive steps to help girls overcome roadblocks to their success in these fields.
Keynote speakers include Dr. Claudia Rawn, University of Tennessee Material Science and Engineering faculty member and senior research and development staff member at Oakridge National Laboratory’s Materials and Technology Division; Brian Mefford, Connected Nation founder and chairperson; and Ron Crouch, director of research and statistics for the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet. For the girls attending, the conference will feature young women in STEM fields sharing their strategies for success.
Exhibitors from prominent Kentucky industries as well as girl-serving organizations and programs will be available to meet with conference attendees. Registration is $25 per person, $10 of which will go toward sponsoring future Kentucky Girls STEM events. Check-in on conference day will begin at 8:30 a.m., and welcome will begin at 9 a.m. Lunch will be provided on-site.
The Collaborative, in partnership with WKU’s Ogden College of Science and Engineering and the SKyTeach Program, will also host a “Girls STEM Day” from noon – 3 p.m. in WKU’s Snell Hall. Girls in grades five through eight are invited for an afternoon of hands-on, minds-on exploration into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Female STEM practitioners and educators will lead girls through activities that mirror real-world STEM tasks and highlight creative and innovative problem solving. Participants will also learn how to best prepare themselves to study STEM fields in high school and college. Registration is $5 per student and includes a pizza lunch. Maximum capacity for this day is 150 girls.
Please visit www.kygirlsstem.com/ProgramsEvents/AnnualConference2012.html to register for the conference and “Girls STEM Day.” The Collaborative looks forward to seeing you there!
For Information call 270.745.3014 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author